VA Tennessee Valley Health Care System, Nashville/Murfreesboro Campus, is seeking a full-time Staff Ophthalmologist. This position is assigned to the Surgical Service, under the supervision of the Section Chief of the TVHS Eye Clinic. Incumbent is primarily responsible for providing Ophthalmology care to veterans both clinically and surgically.Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent will be expected to examine and treat patients functioning as a comprehensive Ophthalmologist clinically and surgically and determine the need for surgical or non-surgical treatment of urgent or emergent patients with simple or complex ophthalmology complaints.
- Complete preoperative evaluations and informed consent for patients scheduled for surgery in the ambulatory or main operating rooms; ensure appropriate post-operative care and follow-up is conducted on patients; ensure VA directives and policies are in place and followed; assist in reducing the surgical and electronic wait lists for the facility (and regional network as appropriate);
- Performs on call duties as assigned and assist in administrative duties, as assigned; and assist in other needs of the facility as requested and commensurate with training and skills.
- A successful candidate would qualify for a faculty appointment at the TVHS academic affiliate.
Basic Life Support (BLS) Certified - Required
Highly Preferred Qualifications
- Board certified/board eligible in Ophthalmology
- Fellowship training in Corneas preferred
- Residency - Completion of a fully accredited US residency program in Ophthalmology, with or without additional fellowship training.
- Minimum TWO years' experience as an Ophthalmologist in a teaching environment.
- Teaching and supervision experience of Medical Students/Residents.
- Previous clinical management experience.
- Excellent surgical skills are required for primarily cataract surgery and laser surgery.
- Specialty interest in other surgical procedures is encouraged but not required..
Will be required to work at both Campus Nashville and Murfreesboro
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502791700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.