This position is located in the National Portrait Gallery (NPG), Smithsonian Institution (SI). The employee oversees all registrar aspects of NPG's temporary exhibitions program, as well as the traveling exhibitions and outgoing loans programs (which are national and international in scope).Learn more about this agency
- Manages registrar efforts for NPG traveling exhibitions and outgoing loans and serves as the principal organizer of arrangements and agreements for all artwork being borrowed for NPG temporary exhibitions.
- Analyzes the scope of incoming or outgoing exhibitions to determine the registrar responsibilities for those projects, establishes, and enforces NPG standards and policies for packing, shipping, insurance, handling and storage of artwork.
- Establishes handling and exhibition requirements to be followed by all accepting institutions, and maintains contact with venues throughout the tour to make certain that exhibitors are fulfilling their responsibilities in this regard.
- Has signatory authority for all exhibition loan agreements and negotiates both domestic and international agreements that involve a variety of potentially sensitive issues, such as insurance value and condition of artwork as well as the practicality of stipulations being placed on the loan by the lender.
- Establishes and maintains the registrar budget for each exhibition and provides information to other departments about high risk or high value objects needing custom or special installation techniques or consideration.
- Schedules and oversees all aspects of packing, crating and shipping, condition reporting and object movement for incoming exhibitions.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals (including Veterans recruitment). Excepted Service employees may also apply to this announcement.
Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities may also apply to Job Announcement #18R-MP-303859-MPA-NPG.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/501726000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.