This position is located in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Agricultural Library, Scientific Data Management Branch, located in Beltsville, MD.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of the position is to manage large, complex datasets which cover a wide range of research domains related to agriculture, such as agronomy, genomics, hydrology, soils, agroecosystems, sustainability, and economic statistics, and to provide expert guidance in the development and enhancement of the systems, platforms, and infrastructure needed to filter, store, manipulate, identify, discover, and share large and open datasets through Ag Data Commons (ADC).
The work results in the improved management of increasingly large and complex volumes of information from vastly different formats and sources that are compiled, stored, exchanged, and analyzed at an escalated pace, for a vast array of research; and aims to address the ever-broadening scale and density of large, potentially unstructured data sets, and the need to optimize the precision at which such data is curated and distributed.
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Develops, studies, and applies informatics methods, approaches and processes to innovate and refine how the big data can be better collected, curated and organized.
- Establishes Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) to datasets.
- Develops and enhances systems, platforms and infrastructures needed to filter, store, manipulate, identify, discover and share large and open datasets.
- Interprets and manages user requirements for scientific database and repository systems that are based on national and international standards and best practices.
- Collaborates with other specialists to enhance the computational performance and architecture of scientific systems.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel will be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/500341700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.