This is an opening for a software developer in the Data Systems division of the Chandra X-ray Observatory Science Center to work on the Chandra data archive. The archive contains terabytes of data, ensures their integrity, security and uninterrupted access, and provides interfaces for archiving and retrieval to science center operations and Chandra users.Learn more about this agency
1. Function as part of a team to assist in and/or implement all aspects of the software development lifecycle: requirements generation, design, code, verification and test, and maintenance.
2. Generate code following the Data System software coding and design standards, applicable vendor's literature, and established practices that are consistent with the overall system architecture.
3. Develop software components and subcomponents/modules to support the Chandra Data archives and the interfaces to the archive for the Data System division. Create new programs that add to system capability and modify existing programs to meet new requirements. Obtain necessary data to verify requirements and test software.
4. Define scientific and system requirements to develop and evaluate data archives and interfaces by working closely with systems engineers, scientists, and other IT Specialists. Obtain necessary data to verify requirements and test software.
5. Verify and test all generated software and maintain code as part of an overall system.
6. Generate documentation for the software according to Data System guidelines.
7. Perform other duties as may be required.
In addition to the duties above duties at the grade 12 may include but are not limited to:
- conduct software development at the component level by interpreting Data System software project standards and developing documentation accordingly, ensuring compliance with standards throughout the development; propose and develop new standards when modifications or extensions of existing standards are needed.
- oversee the integration of software modules and components into the system. Automate rigorous unit and regression tests to verify and validate the system across platforms.
In addition to the duties above duties at the grade 13 may include but are not limited to:
Interface with science staff at the highest project levels to obtain information regarding their needs as the users of the system. Analyze the scientific hardware requirements and the physical systems involved to define the scientific requirements and develop the system requirements, taking into consideration the rapidly evolving technology and the need, at times, to significantly deviate from established practice to meet the goals of the project.
Occasional travel - To attend meetings
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/500306100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.