In order to qualify for Assistant Commissioner Office of Media Affairs, 1035, ES - 00, you must possess the following:
Specialized Experience Requirement
To be qualified for this position, your résumé must reflect experience in a managerial capacity with responsibility for providing supervisory direction to a large and diverse organization responsible for promoting economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of programs and operations on a national level and preventing and detecting fraud and abuse in such programs and operations. This experience must be evidenced by sophisticated analytical skills, superior written and oral communication skills, good judgment, and experience in interacting with government and non-government officials. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations. At this level, you would have typically been responsible for planning, directing, and evaluating work that included managing and/or supervising other managers. You must demonstrate in your résumé, significant achievements, increasing levels of responsibility as a manager, and a solid record of successful professional performance.
As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), your résumé must show evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability, and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Technical Qualifications (TQs), Managerial Qualifications (MQs) and the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) listed below.
Technical Qualifications (TQs) -- Your résumé must show that you possess the following TQs:
1. Demonstrated experience planning, organizing and carrying out media relations and communication activities for an organization which includes, the timely release of information to the media, advising senior leadership in the agency on the management of public affairs initiatives and media matters; and evaluating the efficiency or effectiveness of public information programs, projects or operations.
2. Demonstrated knowledge overseeing the release of all information provided to news media and ensure all communication products are well written and in line with media principles, practices and expectations and formulating and interpreting program-related policies and experience developing key messages, questions and answers, news releases and other communication documents.
3. Demonstrated experience serving as a spokesperson on high-profile and sensitive organization issues and representing the agency in internal and external meetings; building constructive relationships with customers, peers, supervisors, managers and subordinates; and advising on all news media engagement opportunities on sensitive/controversial issues and providing recommendation for strategic communication messaging.
Managerial Qualifications (MQs)-Your résumé must show that you possess the following MQs:
1. Demonstrated experience managing an organization of press officers, senior advisors and subordinate supervisors; developing and recommending strategy for all press matters, particularly for controversial and time sensitive communication challenges; disciplining employees and evaluating employee performance ; inspiring, motivate and guide others towards team goal accomplishments and fostering team commitment, cohesiveness and trust and develop leadership by coaching, mentoring and rewarding team members.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) -- Your résumé must show that you possess the following ECQs:
Fundamental Competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs and should be evident over the course of your résumé: Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communication; Integrity/Honesty; Written Communication; Continual Learning; and Public Service Motivation. It is STRONGLY recommended that you visit the following Office of Personnel Management (OPM) webpage for more information regarding the Fundamental Competencies and ECQs. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/executive-core-qualifications/.
1. Leading Change: The ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Competencies: creativity and innovation, external awareness, flexibility, resilience, strategic thinking, vision)
2. Leading People: The ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others, team building)
3. Results Driven: The ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Competencies: accountability, customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving, technical credibility)
4. Business Acumen: The ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Competencies: financial management, human capital management, technology management)
5. Building Coalitions: The ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Competencies: partnering, political savvy, influencing/negotiating)
The application process for this position is RESUME ONLY. You should address the TQs, DQs, and ECQs within the context of a 5-page résumé. Any information submitted in excess of 5 pages WILL NOT be considered. We strongly encourage you to submit a résumé that is tailored specifically for this position to ensure it includes relevant examples of how you possess the technical qualifications and the five Executive Core Qualifications. Your résumé should emphasize your level of responsibilities, the scope and complexity of programs managed (e.g., budget, type/# of staff supervised) and program accomplishments, including the results of your actions.
If selected, you will be required to complete an ECQ package by drafting narratives for each of the ECQs for submission and certification by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) in order to be placed in this position. If you are currently serving in a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed an SES Candidate Development Program approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), you will not need to draft the ECQs.
Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in applying for this position to serve in the SES must resign their commission if selected.