This position is located at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (fFDA) in the Office of the Commissioner (OC), Office of External Affairs (OEA) in Silver Spring, MD.Learn more about this agency
To learn more about the FDA visit, https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WhatWeDo/default.htm
To learn more about OC, visit https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OC/default.htm
To learn more about OEA, visit https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OC/OfficeofExternalAffairs/default.htm
- Advises the Commissioner, Chief of Staff, Associate Commissioner for External Affairs and other senior coordinating officials on public information and agency programs relating to media communications;
- Directs and manages all aspects of the Office of Media Affairs (OMA) commonly referred to as the "Press Office";
- Plans, directs and executes media relations efforts to inform and educate general and specialized public about FDA programs, actions and accomplishments;
- Serves as spokesperson for FDA on high-profile and sensitive agency issues;
- Briefs the Commissioner and other senior leaders for agency media events;
- Cultivates and maintains effective working relationships with members of the media, particularly with FDA "beat" reporters;
- Facilitates press conferences, media briefings, media availabilities and media interviews with agency senior officials and prepares officials on advisable conduct during agency news events;
- Provides expert advice and guidance on all aspects of communication to press officers, subject matter experts, principals and other agency officials;
- Acts quickly and effectively as a senior communication counsel to staff as well as senior officials in providing sound media relations advice for major rollouts, agency announcements and key initiatives;
- Responds to questions and/or criticism for members of the news media concerning sesitive and complex subjects;
- Serves as immediate supervisor to GS-12 through GS-15 public affairs specialists. Assigns work, and reviews and evaluates completed work; and
- Serves as Agency focal point for formulation and dissemination of public warnings as well as general news of FDA activities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499830400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.