Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to provide a student trainee in the Pathways Internship Program with on- the-job training and guidance. The student trainee provides computer support and services to computer specialists, management analysts, and the organization. Performs inventory management, coding and software activities to support report development/delivery, and other IT support duties. Resolves processing problems related to control.
- Supports computer specialists by coding, testing, maintaining documentation of computer programs processed on several computer systems and making adjustments based on experiences and precedent actions.
- Provides services in association with the installation, movement, maintenance, and accountability of hardware items.
- Accomplishes recurring software installation and records maintenance requirements.
- Performs tasks involving control of incoming and outgoing products. Receives input materials and logs in job requests.
- Provides guidance and assistance to customers. Assists customers in the effective usage of software packages and equipment.
Occasional travel - Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must meet suitability requirements for Federal employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be enrolled at least half-time at a qualiflying accredited institution
- Must sign a Participant Agreement
- U.S. citizen or national (resident of American Samoa or Swains Island)
- Males 18 years or older must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guidance
- You must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate)
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Incumbent must obtain and maintain a Nonsensitive Clearance
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Completion of four (4) academic years of post-high school study leading to a bachelor's degree or completion of four (4) academic years of pre-professional study.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-05: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-04 or equivalent. An example of specialized experience is knowledge of data processing rules, operating procedures, and processing methods to perform a wide range of information processing, preparing, advising, assisting, coding, and procedural problem solving duties; knowledge of a computer system, software, and hardware to provide maintenance and user advice, and assistance in all computer-related areas; knowledge of programming languages comparable to SQL to identify, develop input requirements for programs, and evaluate test results for newly developed or revised programs. Knowledge and skill to apply tools in the various software packages to appropriate applications; knowledge to maintain database inventories for use in various systems; knowledge of computer hardware and software terminology, codes, abbreviations, graphics, and jargon to review system documentation, explain problem areas, or receive instructions; knowledge of system hardware, software, and program capabilities and limitations for multi-programming systems in more than two partitions to diagnose problems, reset controls, install application software, make minor mechanical adjustments, and perform similar tasks to maintain or restore network operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilties and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of DoD and Air Force automated data processing standards, policies, and techniques.
2. Knowledge of information processing sequences, controls, and procedures; and computer hardware and/or software systems and their interfaces.
3. Knowledge of SQL, or other higher level programming language; and the terminology, codes, abbreviations, and graphics for preparing system documentation or programs.
4. Knowledge of local rules and procedures controlling job priorities and controls on access to data and program files.
5. Ability to use and maintain a computer system, equipment, and/or software.
6. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide transcripts or Official Letter of Enrollment to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. A complete Application Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - must contain the university logo (can be a copy)
- Proof of enrollment/class registration
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214 which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 05/21/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10211077
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10211077
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
AddressHQ USAFSE - Pentagon
1460 Air Force Pentagon, Room 4A928
Washington, DC 20330
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499595200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.