GAO's work is designed to address four common goals:Learn more about this agency
- to help the Congress address current and emerging challenges to the well-being and financial security of the American people;
- to help the Congress to respond to changing security threats and the challenges of global interdependence;
- to help transform the Federal government to address national challenges; and
- to maximize the value of GAO by enabling quality, timely service to Congress and by being a leading practices Federal agency.
To learn more about GAO please visit us on the web at http://www.gao.gov/careers/index.html.
This position is located in the office of Applied Research and Methods (ARM) Team. ARM Actuaries serve as consultants to other GAO teams, providing technical analyses and conceptual insight where required, in a multitude areas of interest to Congress, including retirement security, health care, property and casualty/general insurance, and other benefit and insurance programs, both public and private.
The GAO is part of the Legislative Branch of the Federal government. As such, all positions are in the excepted service. Applicants employed by other federal excepted service agencies who do not have status gained in the competitive service must apply to announcement number GAO-18-ARM-1510-05-DE for consideration.
The incumbent will be responsible for property and casualty/general insurance actuarial work and will perform the following:
- Advises and/or assists teams in selecting and implementing appropriate methodologies for engagements in accordance with GAO standards, as they relate to actuarial issues. Reviews teams’ work at all stages, providing conceptual and technical advice, addressing technical or conceptual errors, omissions, or misconceptions. Participates in interviews of external experts on topics that relate to actuarial issues and assists team in accurately documenting the interview findings.
- Participates in aspects of design, researchable question development, data collection and analysis, message development, and report writing and ensures the quality and value of the final product as it relates to actuarial issues. Edits or drafts report sections as warranted to ensure technical accuracy, clear exposition of key concepts, and the appropriate level of detail. Makes actuarial concepts and applications accessible to non-technical audiences to promote understanding of key policy decisions and issues.
- Provides advice on how actuarial data should be identified, collected, and analyzed for engagements. Reviews related actuarial program documents, reports, and data. Selects, refines, organizes, and presents factual information and analysis in support of engagement objectives. In collaboration with engagement team members, decides on actuarial scope, form, content, and depth of analysis.
- Contributes to primary data collection as it relates to actuarial issues. In conjunction with team members and other specialists, develops and pretests questionnaires, structured interviews and other data collection instruments used to collect primary data to meet the goals of the engagement.
- In conjunction with team members, develops findings and recommendations and prepares GAO products that provide factual and analytical actuarial information in a clear, balanced manner that meets the needs of congressional clients.
- Ensures that products meet all GAO standards for quality and are in conformance with all agency policies and requirements.
- On occasion, makes formal presentations on actuarial issues at meetings or conferences.
- May serve as a coach and mentor to less experienced staff.
- As required, may be assigned off line assignments such as Professional Development Program (PDP) Advisor and others.
- The incumbent will also perform work in other actuarial practice areas including, but not limited to pension, health, and life.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Current and former federal employees with status; individuals with disabilities; and veterans eligible under a VEOA appointing authority.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499382900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.