When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement
The ideal candidate will have experience using current industry standard Geographic Information System (GIS) software and loss economic tools, modeling risk through programs like U. S. modeling software (HAZUS), and providing technical assistance on the use of flood mapping products that support flood hazard mapping and risk assessments for hazard mitigation planning associated with the National Flood Insurance (NFIP) program. This position starts at a salary of $79,239 (GS-12). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Regional Offices team within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will serve as a Risk Analyst in the Mitigation Division, Risk Analysis Branch for the assigned Regional Office.
Typical assignments include:
- Maintaining a state-of-the-art knowledge of technological developments in the GIS field and use of GIS software, and apply them to solve project problems.
- Performing digital data collection and integration for analyses related to the Mitigation Division programs.
- Providing knowledge and technical capability in risk analysis and GIS.
- Presenting and performing Hazus GIS analysis for hazard identification and risk assessment in support of FEMA Risk MAP initiative and disaster applications as appropriate.
- Providing GIS support to regional and field mitigation staff during disaster events include which includes support or preparation of disaster response task orders for data collection or analysis. This can include
- Preparing and distributing of data and map graphics related to mitigation initiatives during disasters including high water marks, flood map performance, insurance issues, floodplain management issues and grants program support.
- Monitoring grantees and contractor performance and budgets in relation to the Risk MAP program.
25% or less - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel (25%).
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Status Candidates
- Schedule A
- Veterans (30% Disabled, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act)
- Peace Corps and AmeriCorps Vista
- Military Spouses
This announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on Monday, 05/28/2018.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499308200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.