OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
The VA Black Hills Health Care System (VA BHHCS) is located in the beautiful Black Hills of Western South Dakota. South Dakota has No State Income Tax, has been named one of the Happiest and Safest States in the nation, is home to Top Ten Scenic Drives and Top Ten National Forests, features an Outdoor Life's Top City for Outdoor Enthusiasts and hosts the legendary annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
VA BHHCS is where we live and work in rural small town settings, only minutes from Rapid City's shopping, dining, cultural, and entertainment venues. We offer rich history, including Mammoths and Prehistoric Civilizations, the 7th Cavalry, Deadwood, and Mount Rushmore. Hiking, fishing, rock climbing, canoeing, water skiing, golf, snowmobiling, hunting, camping, downhill and cross country skiing, motorcycling--the opportunities are endless. The Black Hills includes stunning landscapes such as Black Elk Peak, Bear Butte, the Badlands and the Needles Highway.
VA BHHCS is a multi-campus health care system, with approximately 1300 employees, providing primary care, acute medicine, surgery, behavioral health, nursing home and domiciliary care from medical centers located at Fort Meade and Hot Springs, South Dakota as well as a staffed Community Based Outreach Clinic in Rapid City and numerous contracted and staffed clinics in Western South Dakota, Northern Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming. The VABHHCS is part of VA Midwest Healthcare System (VISN23), which includes facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
ResponsibilitiesThe Medical Records Technician, Release of Information (ROI), is located in the Health Administration Service line at the VA Black Hills Health Care System, Hot Springs VA Medical Center in Hot Springs, South Dakota. This position involves technical work associated with processing and maintenance of medical records. Work requires practical knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, and legal requirements of the medical record.Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
This position reports to the Assistant HIMS Supervisor.
- Responsible for evaluating the adequacy of completed authorization forms, and screening each request for information to determine urgency and assures that most urgent requests are completed first using established priority systems.
- Personally greets veterans/visitors and assists them in determining the exact nature of the request and whether the information requested can be released.
- Applies public laws, rules, regulations and exclusions governing confidentiality of the medical record, including the Privacy Act, Freedom of Information Act and 38 U.S.C. 7332.
- Processes all incoming requests to the facility for Release of Information (ROI) along with information required by the VA Regional Office through the Automated Medical Information Exchange (AMIE).
- Evaluates validity of each request. Determines which information is to be released in compliance with existing laws (Privacy Act of 1974, Freedom of Information Act, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
- Ensures that proper authorization exists before release is made.
- Receives and directs callers and visitors.
- Receives and/or gives out forms, and assists visitors and/or callers with the completion of forms or documents.
- Responds to questions from patients concerning services.
- Completes and processes routine releases of information to other VA and Federal Agencies and when requested, to patients and their families, insurance representatives, physicians, hospitals, and city and state health agencies according to VA directives.
- Processes Social Security requests for health information using ROI software.
- Downloads VistA Imaging documents and ROI software documents onto a secure Network Drive.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - Between VABHHCS Facilities
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499212200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.