BLM is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to join the team to serve as a Physical Scientist (Air) in the Montana State Office, Division of Resources, Planning, and Fire, Branch of Planning & Biological Resources and Science. This position is located in Billings, Montana. Information about the Billings area can be found at Billings Chamber of Commerce. Outside Magazine's Annual Best Town Contest Featured Billings as the Best Town of 2016.Learn more about this agency
Explore a new career with the BLM - where our people are our greatest natural resource. The BLM manages more land - 245 million surface acres - than any other Federal agency. This land, known as the National System of Public Lands, is primarily located in 12 Western States, including Alaska. The BLM, with a budget of about $1 billion, also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. The BLM's multiple-use mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations. For additional information about the BLM, please visit our website.
This position is also being advertised under vacancy announcement MT Merit-2018-0107. Currently there is one vacancy and one person will be selected from these announcements. In the event of additional vacancies, additional selections made be made from these announcements.
The incumbent is responsible for performing a variety of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Implementing National policy and guidance for the three state region.
- Carrying out or approving air quality analysis for all projects with the potential to impact air or climate resources.
- Administering contracts for complex modeling efforts.
- Providing technical and regulatory review for long range management plans, multiple use management proposals, and permits.
- Providing technical guidance and mentoring to Field Office level natural resource specialists.
- Coordinating program activities and issues with the BLM's Washington Office, the National Operations Center, legal counsel, and air quality specialists in other BLM State Offices.
- Serving as the BLM's technical liaison with state, local, and tribal governments, other federal agencies, industry, and the public in the three state region.
- Representing the State Director on national, state, and regional committees.
- Promoting cooperation and improved relationships with other federal, state, local, and tribal governments.
Occasional travel - At times, travel for meetings and/or training may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All U.S. Citizens – Open to Public, No previous Federal Service is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498381400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.