About the Position:Learn more about this agency
The Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC) offers foreign language instruction in more than two dozen languages on a schedule that extends throughout the year. Courses are taught six hours per day, five days a week, with the exception of holidays. Faculty work on teaching teams consisting of six members. A typical eight-hour day includes teaching and other duties such as class preparation, adapting teaching materials, checking homework, administering and grading tests. The work schedule is a 40-hour work week, Monday - Friday 7:45 am to 4:45 pm. The duration of courses range between 25 and 63 weeks, depending on the difficulty of the language.
These positions are in the excepted service. Employment in the excepted service does not confer competitive status to apply to competitive service jobs in the federal civil service.
The position expiration date (not to exceed date) may be extended based on workload and funding availability and is not subject to regulatory time limits.
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center offers an intensive student-centered environment with diverse opportunities for faculty development.
- Faculty members teach listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills, as well as geopolitical, economic and social issues, in an immersion based environment.
- Teachers integrate technology in the classroom and in homework assignments.
- Faculty members employ resources such as Smart Boards, the Internet, iPods, and Tablet PCs.
- Available software i.e., BlackBoard, RapidRote, and SharePoint are used by teachers to develop learning materials.
- Teachers employ computer skills to organize data and teaching materials.
- Faculty members are expected to stay abreast of current foreign language teaching theories and methods.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 5% for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498279500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.