When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The ideal candidate should have extensive leadership experience in Environmental, Safety, and Health, and resource problem solving. This position starts at a salary of $134,789 (GS-15). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer team within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will support the Chief Administrative Office as the agency's Senior Environmental, Safety, Health and Sustainability Officer. Typical assignments include:
- Leading and managing work in the major functional areas of environmental, safety, health and sustainability. The work requires senior level leadership as well as knowledge and skills and broad technical knowledge of the Federal environmental, safety, health and sustainability legal, regulatory, and policy frameworks.
- Speaking authoritatively in meetings with top FEMA and DHS officials, representatives of other government agencies, state and local officials, and other outside groups.
- Assuring that adequate management controls are in place and effectively employed to prevent waste, fraud, mismanagement, and abuse.
- Supporting the CAO in his/her role as the executive proponent for environmental, safety, health and sustainability and principal advisor to the Agency Designated Safety and Health Official (DSHO).
Occasional travel - Occasional non-emergency travel less than 30% may be required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Status Candidates
- Schedule A
- Veterans (30% Disabled, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act, Veterans Recruitment Authority)
- Peace Corps and AmeriCorps Vista
- Military Spouses
This announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on Monday, 4/23/2018.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496718200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.