The National Library of Medicine (NLM), on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, has been a center of information innovation since its founding in 1836. The world's largest biomedical library, NLM maintains and makes available a vast print collection and produces electronic information resources on a wide range of topics that are searched billions of times each year by millions of people around the globe. It also supports and conducts research, development, and training in biomedical informatics and health information technology. In addition, the Library coordinates a 6,500-member National Network of Libraries of Medicine that promotes and provides access to health information in communities across the United States.Learn more about this agency
One position is located in the National Library of Medicine (NLM), Division of Library Operations (DLO), Technical Services Division (TSD), Collection Development and Acquisitions Section (CDAS).
The NIH is comprised of the Office of the Director and 27 Institutes and Centers. The Office of the Director is the central office at NIH, and is responsible for setting policy for NIH and for planning, managing, and coordinating the programs and activities of all the NIH components.
One position is located in the Office of the Director (OD), Office of Management (OM), Office of Research Services (ORS), Division of Library Services (DLS).
As a Supervisory Librarian, you will:
- Provide strategic leadership for building the modern NLM collection of biomedical literature and resources according to the guidelines of the Collection Development Manual of the National Library of Medicine.
- Manage the selection, acquisition, licensing and related processing activities of the Collection Development and Acquisitions Section in the Technical Services Division.
- Establish priorities, goals and policies for the Section, which includes a staff of 34 professional librarians, technical information specialists and library technical support personnel.
- Formulate the Section budget and oversee expenditure of Section operating funds.
- Manage and direct payment processing for literature acquisitions with a budget of approximately $12.5 million dollars.
- Oversee collaboration with the NLM Office of Acquisitions in determining appropriate acquisition mechanisms to facilitate efficient and effective payments to sources worldwide.
- Manage a program for negotiating license agreements for access to electronic journals and other electronic information resources.
- Participate in establishing guidelines for acceptable license terms to support NLM's mission and internal processing needs, including MEDLINE indexing, with a wide variety of publishers and intermediaries.
- Direct Section participation in the development, improvement and use of technology to support collection development, acquisitions and electronic resources management functions.
- Serve as a technical authority and spokesperson on NLM collection development, acquisition and licensing policies and procedures.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496460500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.