Guidance on Addressing the ECQs and TPQs:
Use your overall set of professional and volunteer experiences, education and training, accomplishments, awards and potential in describing your ECQ's and TPQ's. Be clear and concise, using examples that demonstrate the scope and quality of your experiences, accomplishments, and/or potential relevant to each ECQ and TPQ.
IMPORTANT: When addressing the ECQs, describe your responses using Challenge, Context, Action and Results (C-C-A-R).
Identify what the challenge was, the context or environment you were operating in/under, the specific actions you took and what the results of those actions were. For further information and tips on writing effective narrative statements, see OPM's publication 'A Guide to SES Qualifications' available on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website at: www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp
. Responses to ECQs must not exceed 10 pages
. Narrative statements may NOT exceed 2 pages for each individual ECQ. IF YOU EXCEED THESE LIMITS YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Please be advised that the individual selected for this position will likely require certification by a Qualifications Review Board conducted by OPM, prior to receiving the SES appointment. If you are already certified by OPM's QRB, submit proof such as a copy of the certification or an SF-50 showing SES Career Status.
Each of the following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, Public Service Motivation. The essay competencies address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ's). Your responses are required for each of these ECQ's, unless you have had your ECQ's previously certified by an Office of Personnel Management Qualifications Review Board (QRB) for the Senior Executive Service (SES).
Mandatory Technical Qualifications (TQs): All applicants must submit a written narrative response to the following TQs.
- ECQ 1: LEADING CHANGE - Describe your ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to enhance organizational goals. Address your experience in establishing and implementing an organizational vision in a continuously changing environment.
- ECQ 2: LEADING PEOPLE - Describe your ability to lead people in achieving the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Address your experience in providing an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- ECQ 3: RESULTS DRIVEN - Describe your ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Describe your ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- ECQ 4: BUSINESS ACUMEN - Describe your ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Address your experience with budget and financial management, human resources or capital programs and processes, and use of information technology to address mission challenges.
- ECQ 5: BUILDING COALITIONS - Describe your ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Address your experience with achieving relationships outside of your organization that enhance mission accomplishment, including interactions with the media.
Please give examples and explain how often you used your skills, the complexity of the knowledge possessed, the level of people you interacted with, the sensitivity of the issues you handled, etc. Narrative statements may NOT exceed 2 pages for each individual TQ. IF YOU EXCEED THESE LIMITS YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- TPQ 1: Demonstrated ability to assess the current state of a large Information Technology department (over 75 full time employees and consultants), develop in a collaborative manner the IT future state across a five-year path, lead the development of strategic and tactical goals including organizational structure to most effectively support future needs, and execution of specific annual goals and performance metrics to make and track definitive progress.
- TPQ 2: Demonstrated expert-level technical knowledge of Information Technology (IT) systems administration and operation standardized on a Oracle platform evolving to an ERP solution serving headquarters and distributed sites for a large organization.
- TPQ 3: Demonstrated ability to provide expert technical and business leadership in the governance of a multi-million dollar IT department capital budget, ensuring a project prioritization protocol is collaboratively developed and implemented to rank order IT Department Infrastructure projects (back shop) and Business Line IT projects including thoroughly planned, cost-justified, approved, and executed projects - - tracked by senior leadership through projects’ life-cycle to make the most informed decisions supporting the organization’s strategic goals.
- TPQ 4: Demonstrated knowledge and ability to oversee and lead the design, implementation, and continuing operations of modern, reliable, and secure end-to-end IT security services that includes, among others, data center operations, network communications, and data base/applications/web servers.