IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ANNOUNCEMENT PRIOR TO SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATIONLearn more about this agency
This is a term position not to exceed two years and may be extended two years.
This is an episodic, intermittent position, on an irregular or occasional basis with hours and days of work not on a prearranged schedule and with compensation for the actual time employed or for service rendered.
This position is located in the Department Of Health And Human Services, Office of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR), headquartered in Washington, District of Columbia. This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions in multiple locations.
Applicants must understand that the work performed is primarily related to readiness for and deployment for response during the aftermath of a disaster or public health emergency, where work may be field-based, that may be remote and austere, caring for sick, injured, dying, or deceased persons. This work requires above average health, physical, and mental conditioning with routine long periods of repetitive walking, bending, lifting, and carrying, such as carrying NDMS equipment or heavy patients on litters. Incumbent must be capable of working in a high-stress, high-security, remote, austere, and uncharacterized environment, void of infrastructure and vital services, requiring specific physical demands, such as the ability to lift 50 pounds, and work characteristics that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. For these reasons, employees are required to complete a physical and health screening process to meet and maintain certain physical standards, as well as mental, behavioral, and cognitive competencies.
NOTE: This vacancy will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire authority. Veterans' Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. Please click here for more information on OPM's Authorization of Direct Hire authority. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/direct-hire-authority/
- Administer complex therapeutic health services care for patients during a medical emergency mission or other assignment under the direction of the Team Leader and/or a physician.
- Assist physician in determining the appropriateness of prescribed therapist/procedures based on therapeutic goals and monitors goals.
- Perform all routine technical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as intermittent positive pressure breathing, aerosol therapy (treatments and continuous; both with and without pharmacological agents; chest physiotherapy, postural drainage, oxygen therapy, suctioning and sputum induction/collection and incentive spirometry from children to adults.
- Determine the effectiveness and/or need for change in the therapy being administered.
- Clean, set up, and check the operation of basic respiratory equipment such as flow meter, humidifier, hand ventilators, entrainment masks, oxygen tank and regulators.
- Work closely with other Respiratory Therapists and Respiratory Therapy Technicians in training, preparedness and response/recovery operations.
76% or greater - 95% Domestic and 5% international travel.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496085100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.