This is a Category 3 position. Pay is set based on consideration of the selectee's current salary and other factors.Learn more about this agency
The Division of General Law is responsible for legal matters related to procurement, patents, and tort claims; insular areas; environmental law; equal employment opportunity, labor law, and other personnel maters; and administrative and other general legal issues.
The Associate Solicitor for General Law provides executive leadership over three programs within the Division; (1) The Branch of Acquisitions and Intellectual Property, responsible for legal matters related to the Interior acquisition and procurement functions and related litigation; (2) The Branch of General Legal Services, responsible for legal matters and litigation related to budget, financial management, legal ethics, FOIA, records management, electronic data management, partnerships, the Federal Advisory Committee Act, the Privacy Act, rule making, administrative law matters, internal delegations of authority, departmental law enforcement policies, insular areas, and all other related and general matters not specifically the responsibility of any other branch or division; and, (3) Employment and Labor Law Unit, responsible for formulating and setting legal policy and standards of practice in employment and labor law. The Division provides legal assistance and counsel to the Assistant Secretary for Policy, Management and Budget, to the Endangered Species Committee and manages the Department’s FOIA and Privacy Act appeals program.
- Provides legal counsel to Department leadership and bureaus on complex matters involving environmental protection legislation.
- Assists in the preparation of legal review or regulations, procedures, stipulations, negative Environmental Impact Statements, correspondence, publications, contracts, leases, permits, and all facets in the development of environmental statements.
- Serves as the chief lawyer to the Solicitor, Deputy Solicitors, and the Associate Solicitor for Administration in the management of Office of the Solicitor.
- Shares responsibility with the Solicitor and Deputy Solicitors for determining the overall policy of the Office of the Solicitor with respect to organization, budget, personnel, and legal activities within assigned area of responsibility.
- Responsible for technical guidance of the Regional Solicitors throughout the United States.
- Provides legal advice to the Secretary, the Department, and its bureaus during emergency situations including emergency management planning and operations.
- May be called upon to testify before Congressional Committees as the Department or Administration’s witness on facts within his/her knowledge or the position of the Department or Administration on bills pending before the committee or subcommittee.
Occasional travel - -
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified individuals who are U.S. Citizens.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/495659600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.