If you would like to be a part of a Federal organization dedicated to serving our Nation and those who defend it, consider a career with the Department of Defense Office of Inspector General (DoD OIG). Our vision is to be a model oversight organization in the Federal Government by leading change, speaking truth, and promoting excellence. A diverse organization, working together as one professional team and recognized in our field. The agency promotes integrity, accountability and improvement of critical DoD programs and operations to support mission accomplishment and to serve the public interest.Learn more about this agency
This position is located in the Alexandria, VA Office of the Deputy Inspector General for Overseas Contingency Operations (DIG OCO) and reports to a director performing comprehensive writing and report production duties in support of the DoD OIG directed Lead Inspector General mission. The DIG OCO established a Strategic Planning Cell, a Joint Program Management Cell and a Strategic Communication and Outreach Cell. The incumbent serves as a Senior Writer and performs duties related to these functional areas. Reports are released to Congress, other Federal agencies and to the public.
The incumbent of this position will serve as a senior writer/editor contributing at a significant level to an assigned report; synchronizes activities among other contributing elements, integrates data, and is responsible for drafting published reports. Each report represents an original effort in terms of the problems presented and proposed corrective actions. The incumbent must take into account the diverse target audience for the reports, the complex technical subject matter and abstract concepts and ideas expressed. The specific tasks engendered in achieving these goals necessitate analyzing content, organization, and written presentation of tentative findings, draft reports, and final reports. The incumbent must be a communication strategist who is responsible for researching, assembling, writing, and disseminating sensitive, critical, and complex information.
- Serves as a report lead, provides instructions to team members, assigns work, provides training and reviews work products, ensures responsive results and adheres to established goals and time frames.
- Drafts, edits, and performs comprehensive report production duties to include conducting research, performing analysis in support of the overall publication process of reports, plans, briefings, and other materials ensuring the documents are accurate, timely and suitable for the intended audience, occasion and purpose.
- Review and analyze operations/execution orders, policies, data call, oversight reports, standard operating procedures, technical reports, information papers, technical guides, fact sheets, and other documents to determine their impact upon the publication.
- Conducts research to gather information, selects what is pertinent to the assignment, and develops points of emphasis and significant factors and trends involved in the subject-matter through discussion with specialists in the specific fields.
- Verifies references and factual information; compares text, figures, and illustrations to assure agreement; and determines publication format by marking copy, planning layout, or preparing specifications for various technical publications.
- Provides comprehensive support to the quarterly reporting process to include developing a calendar of activities, enforcing deadlines, issuing and archiving data calls, maintaining records of the work of writers and editors and overall ensuring the quality control effort to include verifying cited facts, photos, references, footnotes, and consistent formatting.
- Determines the most logical and effective use of information; and ensures all appropriate safeguards are maintained regarding sensitive or classified information.
- Documents findings, prepares reports, ensuring adherence to report procedures, formats and protocols, providing supporting documentation, cross references or other information. Provides recommendations and conclusions with justification; defines corrective action needed to address identified problems and issues.
- Develops plans, methodologies and approaches for analyses or evaluations conducted independently or as part of a team; defines scope, objectives and resources required for projects; conducts studies and evaluations, adapting plans and procedures as necessary to meet established goals and objectives; gathers data, through review of complex documents and information and through on-site visits and interviews with responsible staff.
- Utilizes the knowledge of the Lead Inspector General work product and planned programs to assist the program directors and the DIG OCO in the preparation and presentation of complex materials or highly complex issues before a wide variety of audiences; also uses information to assess the political and institutional environment where decisions affecting the DoD OIG responsibilities are made and implemented.
- When tasked, will undertake special studies, direct projects, and carry out assigned missions of the very highest priority, many of which are of direct concern to DIG OCO. In this connection, incumbent is relied upon to plan, direct, coordinate, and expedite projects and actions appropriate for each assignment.
- Establishes and maintains highly effective working relationships with all staff to include appropriate senior DoD, Congressional officials and members of internal and external organizations, including joint organizations and the other military services
These positions are being filled using 5 U.S. Code subsection 3161 authority. These excepted service positions are temporary and available for 13-month increments. These temporary positions may be terminated early or extended beyond the 13-month period based upon incumbent performance and the needs of the OIG.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/494435100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.