*This position is being announced concurrently under job announcement number: FEC -18-020 to Status Candidates, Excepted Service (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles). Applicants who wish to be considered under both announcements must apply to both vacancies separately.*Learn more about this agency
The incumbent serves as the Inspector General (IG) for the FEC. The IG for the FEC is responsible for carrying out and supervising the functions, powers, and duties of the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) as provided in the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended (IG Act).
The incumbent is appointed by FEC Commission and is under the general supervision of the Commission; however the OIG is established by statute with organizational independence and broad authority.
The IG's independence requires that he/she be precluded from any program operating responsibilities, unless otherwise specified in the IG Act or required by law. The incumbent has independent authority to appoint OIG staff, budget for funds, and sign contracts.
The IG is to provide leadership and coordination and recommend policies for activities designed to (1) promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of FEC programs and operations; and (2) detect and prevent waste, fraud, and abuse in FEC programs and operations. The IG keeps the FEC Commissioners and Congress fully informed about problems and deficiencies relating to program administration and operations, the necessity for corrective actions, and progress in their implementation.
In fulfilling these two main responsibilities, the IG will act as required by the IG Act and other applicable law, with the authority vested in the IG by such law, and will perform related duties, including but not limited to the following major duties:
- Provides policy direction to the OIG, including such direction related to the conduct of audits, investigations, and inspections and evaluations of programs and operations throughout the FEC. The purpose is to promote administrative economy and efficiency, and to prevent or detect fraud and abuse in FEC programs and operations.
- Leads, directs, and coordinates the OIG personally and through subordinate supervisors and staff.
- Manages the formulation and execution of OIG plans and programs and operational and administrative activities, such as budget preparation and administration, contracting, and personnel management.
- Conducts and oversees the conduct of OIG investigations, audits, and inspections and evaluations. Supervises the review of draft materials, reports, and recommendations from IG staff to ensure that final work product accurately reflects the applicability of statute, law, rule, and regulation. These issues require consideration of complex intricacies of criminal, civil, and administrative law practice and procedures.
- Reviews current and proposed legislation and regulations that relate to FEC programs and operations. Utilizes the semi-annual reporting system required by law to provide feedback on the impact of such legislation or regulations.
- Conducts, supervises, and coordinates relationships between the FEC OIG and other Federal agencies, state and local governmental agencies, and non-governmental entities for the following and related purposes: to promote economy and efficiency in administration; to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in FEC programs and operations; and to identify and prosecute participants in such fraud and abuse. Serve as a statutory representative member of the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency.
- Keeps the FEC Commissioners and the Congress fully and currently informed, through reports concerning fraud and other serious problems, abuses and deficiencies that are related to the administration of FEC programs and operations. Recommends actions to correct identified problems, abuse and deficiencies. Reports on progress made to implement corrective actions.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493439000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.