More than 3,950 Deputy Marshals and Criminal Investigators form the backbone of the agency. Among their many duties, they protect the federal judiciary, transport federal prisoners, execute civil and criminal process, apprehend more than half of all federal fugitives, operate the Witness Security Program, enforce court orders and Attorney General orders involving civil disturbances and acts of terrorism, and seize property acquired by criminals through illegal activities.
The Deputy U.S. Marshal is a key position within the USMS providing protection to Federal judicial officials judges, attorneys and jurors. Further, the Deputy U.S. Marshal is responsible for the care, custody and transportation of all federal prisoners from the time they enter federal custody until they are either acquitted or convicted and delivered to their designated federal Bureau of Prisons facility. This announcement will be used to establish an inventory of candidates from which many vacancies will be filled.
Note: Please read the entire announcement carefully before applying.
Important Job Summary Items:
- These vacancies will be filled in the Washington, DC and Hato Rey, Puerto Rico locations
- The incumbent must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license
- This position has a Minimum Age Requirement (mandatory entry age of at least 21) and a Maximum Age Requirement (mandatory retirement age of 57); preference eligible veterans over the age of 37 may be considered http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
- The incumbent must qualify in the use of multiple firearms and carry a handgun
- The incumbent must be in excellent physical condition
- Must sign a mobility agreement and may be moved at the needs of the agency
- The salaries stated above are an approximation. Actual salary is determined by the geographic location in which employee is stationed.
This announcement will close at 11:59 pm EST on the day that 5,000 applicants have applied and may be extended for up to 5 business days. It is to your benefit to apply early to ensure your application is submitted prior to closing. For more information concerning this position, please refer to: http://www.usmarshals.gov/careers/deputy_positions.htmlLearn more about this agency
Major duties of this position include:
Assisting in planning and executing warrants of arrest.
Executing civil and criminal processes.
Preparing reports on actions taken during the execution of processes, etc.
Conducting body searches of prisoners and persons who are under arrest.
Transporting prisoners and producing prisoners in court.
Assisting higher graded USMS law enforcement personnel in providing in-court security during criminal and civil proceedings.
Maintaining custody of prisoners throughout court proceedings.
50% or less - Extensive travel may be required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Recent Graduates - College Graduates who have graduated from a qualifying educational institution/program within 2 years of their application and students scheduled to receive their qualifying degree by June 1st, 2018. Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have up to six years after degree completion to apply. Qualifying education includes recent graduates who have completed qualifying degrees
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491899600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.