This position is located in the National Environmental Satellite, Data & Information Service (NESDIS), Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR), Satellite Meteorology and Climatology Division (SMCD) and is for one vacancy located in College Park, MD.Learn more about this agency
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band.
The ZP-4 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-STAR-2018-0011, which is open to all US Citizens or Nationals. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, ZP-1301-4 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band and requires the same qualifications and specialized experience as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
As a Physical Scientist, you will perform the following duties:
- Implement operational plans for the Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR) to assume responsibility for Radio Occultation (RO) data product science.
- Coordinate with international partners to transition multiple Radio Occultation (RO) sources into NOAA operations and leads the planning of various numerical weather prediction experiments.
- Determine atmospheric profiles through Radio Occultation data.
- Report the impacts from Radio Occultation data assimilation on global medium-range weather forecast skill improvements.
Occasional travel - 5% of domestic and foreign travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…* Status Candidates - Current Federal employees with competitive status or Former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility;
* CTAP/ICTAP eligibles;
* Veterans under VEOA or 30% Disabled and certain Military Spouses;
* Individuals with Disabilities (Schedule A);
* Peace Corps, Vista (AmeriCorps) eligibles;
* Those eligible under an OPM interchange agreement or other special appointing authority.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491025300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.