This position is located within the National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), Center for Satellite Application and Research (STAR), Satellite Oceanography and Climatology Division (SOCD), and the Laboratory for Satelite Altimetry (LSA) College Park, MD.Learn more about this agency
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band.
The ZP-04 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
The full performance level for this position is ZP-04.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-STAR-2018-0004, which is open to all US Citizens or Nationals. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary/trial period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Oceanographer, ZP-1360-04 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band and requires the same qualifications and specialized experience as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Provide expertise in ocean sciences.
- Develop, implement and oversee algorithms for deriving oceanic measurements from satellite observations.
- Validate satellite-derived measurements against ground truth observations and other data.
- Guide satellite instrument calibration.
- Develop and conduct hypothesis-driven original research studies to understand the geophysical state of the ocean and impacts on climate and weather.
- Publish research results technical reports, journal articles, or requirement documents in which all may be presented at scientific conferences and seminars.
- Lead, plan, and develop analyses designed to drive improvements in altimetry products and to facilitate the development of new products,
- Interact with diverse partners, team members and users.
- Facilitate and promote teamwork and collaboration.
- Promote understanding of scientific developments, approaches and techniques.
Occasional travel - Approximately 10% Domestic and Foreign
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified United States Citizens or Nationals.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490425400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.