OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
The VA Black Hills Health Care System (VA BHHCS) is located in the beautiful Black Hills of Western South Dakota. South Dakota has No State Income Tax, has been named one of the Happiest and Safest States in the nation, is home to Top Ten Scenic Drives and Top Ten National Forests, features an Outdoor Life's Top City for Outdoor Enthusiasts and hosts the legendary annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
VA BHHCS is where we live and work in rural small town settings, only minutes from Rapid City's shopping, dining, cultural, and entertainment venues. We offer rich history, including Mammoths and Prehistoric Civilizations, the 7th Cavalry, Deadwood, and Mount Rushmore. Hiking, fishing, rock climbing, canoeing, water skiing, golf, snowmobiling, hunting, camping, downhill and cross country skiing, motorcycling--the opportunities are endless. The Black Hills includes stunning landscapes such as Black Elk Peak, Bear Butte, the Badlands and the Needles Highway.
VA BHHCS is a multi-campus health care system, with approximately 1300 employees, providing primary care, acute medicine, surgery, behavioral health, nursing home and domiciliary care from medical centers located at Fort Meade and Hot Springs, South Dakota as well as a staffed Community Based Outreach Clinic in Rapid City and numerous contracted and staffed clinics in Western South Dakota, Northern Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming. The VABHHCS is part of VA Midwest Healthcare System (VISN23), which includes facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
Duties of the Transportation Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Acts as primary contact to Veterans for transportation needs.
- Manages the Beneficiary Travel (BT) program for the Black Hills Health Care System (BHHCS).
- Collects, compiles, and tracks data and statistical information in support of the BT.
- Enters pertinent information into an automated tracking system.
- Extracts information and mileage from a road atlas and street maps.
- Prepares correspondence to veterans concerning eligibility.
- Reviews requests for reimbursement of travel costs and assures compliance with regulations and procedures.
- Responsible for balancing, reconciling, and adjusting invoices for payment.
- Communicates and interacts with patients in a manner which is appropriate.
- Skill in using computers and associated software to include MS Office and spreadsheets.
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Not available
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description Title/PD#: Transportation Assistant 20179-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490286100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.