This position is located in the National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), Center for Satellite Application and Research (STAR), and Satellite Oceanography and Climatology Division (SOCD), College Park, MD.Learn more about this agency
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band.
The ZP-05 is equivalent to the GS-15.
The full performance level for this position is ZP-05.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-STAR-2018-0002, which is open to all US Citizens or Nationals. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Supervisory Oceanographer, ZP-1360-05 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band and requires the same qualifications and specialized experience as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Provide leadership in developing research plans, priorities, and proposals for the Laboratory for Satellite Altimetry.
- Develop, implement and oversee algorithms for deriving oceanic measurements from space, especially satellite altimetry.
- Provide general leadership in ocean sciences and applications.
- Develop, implement and lead research studies to understand the geophysical state of the ocean and impacts on climate and weather.
- Interact with diverse partners, team members and users.
- Facilitate and promote teamwork and collaboration.
- Promote understanding of scientific developments, approaches and techniques.
- Manage a branch of physical scientists and oceanographers.
- Provide direction in team, budget, and project management.
- Validate satellite-derived measurements against ground truth observations and other data.
- Guide satellite instrument calibration.
- Identify and manage ocean observing program needs.
Occasional travel - Up to 10% Travel
Who May Apply
This job is open to…* Status Candidates - Current Federal employees with competitive status or Former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility;
* CTAP/ICTAP eligibles;
* Veterans under VEOA or 30% Disabled and certain Military Spouses;
* Individuals with Disabilities (Schedule A);
* Peace Corps, Vista (AmeriCorps) eligibles;
* Those eligible under an OPM interchange agreement or other special appointing authority.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490125200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.