This position is located in the Division of Culture and the Arts, National Museum of American History (NMAH), Smithsonian Institution (SI). The incumbent carries out the research, collections management, exhibitions development and educational mission of the museum with direct emphasis on American material culture in music, with varying emphasis on each function depending upon museum and individual projects at hand. The incumbent participates in activities across subject areas and organizational divisions, serving on exhibition teams, standing committees and ad hoc working groups. The incumbent may also have the opportunity to contribute to the Museum’s jazz, Latinx, or other American roots music programs as a performer.Learn more about this agency
- Researches American history as it relates to American music, music history, and the American music industry, as well as the connections between America’s diverse populations and their role in the development of America’s arts and entertainments, through objects and collections in areas stretching from America’s colonial era to the modern day.
- Collects and manages large and diverse collections which provide the basis for interpreting American history through the material cultures of different peoples, times, regions and groups and within the context of the broader society.
- Researches American history primarily through objects and collections as well as traditional primary and secondary written and printed sources of documentation.
- Responds to inquiries from scholars, collectors, students and the general public, developing and providing information appropriate to the inquiry.
- Plans and develops exhibition concepts for showcase and similar exhibitions or as part of a larger exhibition team.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required by this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Excepted Service employees may also apply to this announcement.
Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities may also apply to Job Announcement # 18A-SB-303311-MPA-NMAH
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486789800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.