THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a Air Operations Group Commander, Position Description Number D1502P01and is part of the MI 110 Airlift Wing, National Guard.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!Learn more about this agency
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
Air Operations Group Commander, GS-2101-14
This position is located in an Air National Guard (ANG) Base, Component Numbered Air Force (cNAF), Air Operations Group (AOG). The incumbent of this position has the dual responsibility of serving as Commander/Vice Commander of an Air Operations Group (AOG). The unit has a federal and a state mission. The federal mission is to provide trained and qualified Air Operations Center (AOC) Command and Control (C2) warriors to augment MAJCOM deployable AOCs worldwide at the operational level of war. The state mission is to provide support to civil authorities, as directed by the Governor, for disaster relief, public safety, search, and rescue, and civil defense.
The incumbent of the position requires professional knowledge of air campaign strategy, combat plans, and combat operations. The incumbent must be trained and ready to function in a senior level position in a coalition AOC reporting to the Joint Force Air Component Commander (JFACC) at the 3-star level. Accordingly, the incumbent must direct unit preparations for unit members to function at the operational level of war in an AOC. This responsibility mandates a working knowledge of all Air Force Weapon Systems and their capabilities, as well as a clear understanding of the systems and capabilities of sister services, NATO nations, and other coalition partners. This professional knowledge is required to sustain the development and execution of a daily Air Tasking Order for a minimum of 30 days at 500 missions per day.
The incumbent must be knowledgeable in civil and military matters pertaining to state military organization and force structure, training, readiness and mobilization; multi-service contingency planning and execution; and joint civilian/federal/military operations. Due to the unique mission of the c-NAF, this PD cannot be used in any other organization.
(1) The incumbent provides direction and leadership to all unit members, including full-time air technicians and AGRs as well as traditional Guardsmen.
(2) The incumbent partners with the Wing Commander of the host wing in a host/tenant relationship.
(3) Exercises direct responsibility for the readiness and implementation of a complex Air Force weapon system, the Air and Space Operations Center which functions at the operational level of war and war readiness.
(4) Responsible for the development of current and long range organizational plans that support the vision and goals of the unit and ensure that funds, equipment, manpower, and facilities are properly resourced and utilized to meet the mission.
(5) Incumbent is responsible to assume a leadership role in national level exercises that are indorsed by Joint Forces Command (USJFCOM) and sponsored by NGB that meet the criteria for joint interoperability training.
(6) Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens. Area 1 - Open to current, permanent technicians of the Michigan National Guard. Area 2 - Open to current members of the Michigan National Guard. Area 3 - Open to applicants willing and eligible to join the Michigan National Guard (contact a recruiter).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486099500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.