OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise: "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE"). America's Veterans need you!
These positions involve a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed below represent the full performance level of GS-11. At the GS-09 grade level, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-11. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.
These positions, located within the VA New England Health Care System's Library Services/Knowledge & Information Service (VISN1), serve as librarians who teach information literacy skills, and provide clinical decision and research support. The librarians support staff through various activities such as: information retrieval or literature searching for clinical teams, attending morning report, rounding with trainees/staff and presenting at hospital meetings teaching clinicians in small and large groups. There are 2 positions - 1 position in Togus, Maine and 1 position in Boston, Massachusetts.
Additional duties include but not limited to:
- Provides assistance to patrons - training users to locate and access eBooks and eJournals;
- Provides reference service to patrons - answering queries as team member of Librarians on Call (E-reference service);
- Maintains personal mastery of all information technologies and eResources, apps, databases, etc.;
- Triages document delivery requests while training and working with paraprofessionals doing document delivery and interlibrary loans;
- Adheres to compliance standards set forth by Copyright legislation;
- Communicates frequently and articulately with customer groups and teams to create and present focused training, engender collaboration, and assist information/knowledge needs, eScience Data, and translational medicine;
- Assists and supports the development of effective user aids and training (LibGuides, one on one, small group, webinars, embedded podcasts, screenshots, etc.);
- Develops effective and efficient instructional learning plans and modules for local educational credit;
- Develops effective user aids, training programs, plus employs pro-active local marketing/promotion strategies to highlight wide range of VISN 1 resources;
- Teaches and/or develops information tools, knowledge resources, and/or services that focus on building clinical information literacy, knowledge management, and clinical decision making skills;
- Assists in the compilation of usage, cost and effectiveness statistics on all e-content and VISN 1 Library Services;
- Works on statistical reports and works to improve quality and/or identify opportunities for redesign; and,
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Locations: 1 position - Togus, Maine; 1 position - Boston, Massachusetts
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/485175300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.