The position is located in the Department of Mathematics and Science at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, New York. The Academy is a four-year, accredited, degree granting institution of higher education where selected young men and women are prepared for service as officers in the American Merchant Marine and as officers in the U.S. Naval Reserve. This position is responsible for providing equipment set-up, equipment modification, maintenance and repair, testing and calibration, preparation and standardization of chemical solutions and provide instructions to Midshipmen in the Physics and Chemistry Laboratories.Learn more about this agency
Ideal Candidate Statement: The ideal candidate is a mid-level professional possessing the knowledge of scientific principles of chemistry, as well as physics, and other physical science disciplines.
As a Physical Science Technician, you will
- Be responsible for setting up the apparatus and/or chemicals for demonstrations and each of the General Physics and General Chemistry experiments
- Be responsible for modifying the existing equipment as necessary to meet training objectives outlined by the chemistry and physics instructor.
- Be responsible for planning and revising of periodic maintenance programs to ensure that there is a minimum of equipment downtime.
- Be responsible for reliability, the precise calibration, and the technical operations of all the electronic and electric equipment.
- Be responsible for the accurate preparation of standard chemical solutions with precise normality and molarity specifications.
- Provides technical guidance to studentsin the performance of chemistry laboratory experiments; assist faculty members and students in the performance of physics and chemistry laboratory experiments and conducting lecture demonstrations.
- Be responsible in keeping an up-to-date inventory of equipment, supplies, spare parts, and maintenance needs for chemistry and physics. Also responsible for requisitioning supplies and equipment.
- Be responsible for disposing of acids in a safe manner and monitoring the safety of chemical storage, laboratory conditions and operational procedures.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/478397700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.