This position is year-round. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student's schedule.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
Salary NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
GS-04: $15.24 (Step 01) to $19.81 (Step 10)
GS-05: $17.05 (Step 01) to $22.17 (Step 10)
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
The USGS National Geospatial Program is seeking associate, undergraduate, and graduate level students working towards a degree in geography or related physical or social science such as geology, meteorology, economics, statistics, sociology, anthropology, political science, history, cartography, computer science, urban studies, or planning to gain practical experience in geographic science.
As a Student Trainee (Geography), you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of geographic science.
- Conducting analyses of digital cartographic processes to become familiar with cartographic and geographic work methods and procedures.
- Conducting prescribed tests, operating instruments, and gathering spatial data.
- Assisting in analyzing and evaluating operating program data.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified students who are U.S. citizens and meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described under "Eligibility Requirements."
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476575900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.