(Please note that Amtrak OIG is not a federal agency; this is not federal government positions. Pay Plan/Series/Grade information is provide as a point of reference only)Learn more about this agency
Join with the Inspector General to help make America's railroad operate more efficiently and effectively. We are seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference. By conducting or supporting independent, objective audits and investigations of the programs and operations of the National Passenger Railroad Corporation (Amtrak), you could directly contribute to our mission of providing independent, objective oversight of Amtrak's programs and operations; preventing and detecting fraud, waste, and abuse; and providing Congress, Amtrak management, and Amtrak's Board of Directors with timely analysis about Amtrak's programs and operations. Join us as we continue to build a model OIG centered on independence, teamwork, diversity, work-life balance, and value-added oversight. Next stop?the Amtrak Office of Inspector General!
The Congressional and Public Affairs Officer is responsible for planning, directing, and executing public affairs activities, Congressional and intergovernmental outreach, and internal and external communications. The Congressional and Public Affairs Officer will develop and implement comprehensive communications plans; establish and maintain productive working partnerships with media; direct and manage the production of external OIG speeches, presentations, briefings, and special reports; and analyze feedback from the media, program officials, the public, and stakeholders.
- Develops and coordinates public relations and public information programs in accordance with established Amtrak and OIG policies.
- Functions as Congressional Liaison, serving as the primary coordinator for all communication with Congressional offices. Maintains positive working relationships with Congressional staff, members of the media, and interested public accountability organizations. Handles all incoming requests for reports, interviews and background information involving the OIG senior management. Maintains a record of communications with Congressional and media contacts.
- Collaborates with the Senior Director for Quality Assurance and Internal Affairs and the executive team (as appropriate) to define and implement a strategic communications agenda that enables the OIG to disseminate information in order to increase awareness, understanding and relevance of the OIG with key audiences, and to facilitate partnerships with external stakeholders.
- Plans and executes program to inform Congressional offices, the media and the general public about OIG's various roles, activities, and results. Coordinates all requests for information or briefings from Congressional members and staff related to completed, ongoing or requested OIG programs, audit and investigative projects and activities. Provides legislative tracking, research and analysis, particularly with regard to annual and supplemental appropriations.
- Coordinates all public affairs activities, to include pre-publication reviews, speaking engagements, and responses to media inquiries. Oversees the design, development, and dissemination of information to stakeholders using the full range of media and communication methods. Provides assistance and consultation to OIG management in drafting and reviewing written material such as published articles, public statements and speeches, Congressional testimony, media quotes, briefing documents, and press releases to ensure consistency and appropriateness of message.
- Plans and facilitates public appearances and responses by OIG executives. Appearances or responses may involve the media, policy groups, the Executive Branch, and other external stakeholders.
- Monitors and analyzes media mentions and trends using web traffic data and related data analytics. Provides daily media articles and items of interest to OIG management and senior staff, as well as real-time information on current news, events and media reactions of interest to the OIG. Provides quality and insightful advice when a response is appropriate. Maintains awareness of public, media, and community relations; marketing and outreach; and congressional affairs.
- Coordinates proactive and reactive media coverage. Oversees relations with the media and broader public, promoting public understanding of the impact of the work of the OIG.
- Conducts intermittent coordination/communication with Amtrak's VP of Government Affairs and Corporate Communications, as required.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476464100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.