This position is located in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), Program Staff, Institute of Food Production and Sustainability, Division of Agricultural Systems, located in Washington, DC.Learn more about this agency
The mission of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), an agency in the Research, Education, and Economics (REE) mission area of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is to invest in and advance agricultural research, education, and extension to solve societal challenges. NIFA staff provides national leadership and support for science, extension, and education programs and other cooperative activities in the food, agriculture, natural resources and human sciences disciplines. NIFA's vision is to catalyze, transformative discoveries, education and engagement to address agricultural challenges. NIFA is committed to identifying and meeting research, education, and extension priorities as legislated by the Congress and in accordance with the USDA and NIFA Strategic Plans.
As National Program Leader you will be responsible for performing critical tasks in four broad areas which include the following: Initiate, network and collaborate with partners and stakeholders to identify mission-relevant problems, opportunities and issues requiring Federal attention. Conceive, formulate, and execute programs and activities to respond to existing or emerging problems, opportunities, priorities and issues for development, Apply science-based knowledge to evaluate policy and develop and implement programs in collaboration with universities and other partners. Lastly evaluate and assess the quality, outcomes and impacts of these programs. All the areas involve work in capacity building, competitively awarded, and targeted programs.
This position is being concurrently announced under Merit Promotion Procedures on announcement number NIFA-M17N-0030. Disabled Veterans, canidates with 3 or more years of active duty military service, and candidates eligible for special hiring authorities can apply to the Merit Promotion announcement if they meet criteria for the above and include supporting documents.
MAJOR DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Leads agency initiatives on agricultural data science, interagency initiative in cyber physical systems and other programs as assigned that advance the generation, collection, handling and utilization of data for food and agricultural systems.
- Responsible for ensuring relevant data science questions are an important part of NIFA’s research agenda and its ability to address issues contained in NIFA’s Strategic Plan and the REE Action Plan.
- Provides science leadership to complex data science issues to understand how scientific discoveries can benefit society.
- Scientific knowledge in assigned area and is recognized nationally as an expert in the area of expertise (Data Science, Bioinformatics, and Cyberinfromatics).
- Maintains scientific competence and keeps abreast of emerging topics, trends, and issues in order to identify mission-relevant programmatic responses to existing and emerging problems, needs and opportunities.
- Provides input into conceiving, formulating, and executing programs, policies, scientific standards, and guidelines related to area of responsibility.
- Organizes and coordinates groups of highly-technical experts for the purpose of formulating, directing, and coordinating national research, education, and extension programs.
- Participates in the evaluation of programs, develops priorities to address needs and advance science.
- Reviews and writes reports; and represents the agency at professional and inter-agency meetings.
- Develops budget requests, monitors utilization of funds and recommends changes.
Occasional travel - Some travel possible
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476161700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.