This position is located in the Archives Center, Museum Assets and Operations Division, Cultural Resources Center, National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI), Smithsonian Institution. The employee is responsible for assisting with the arrangement, description, preservation, cataloging, and access to NMAI’s moderately large archival collections. He/she also frequently provides guidance, advice, and instructions to Archives Aids and other Archives Technicians when they need technical assistance, as well as makes recommendations on how to improve the efficiency of the work.Learn more about this agency
- Assists the Assistant Head Archivist and Archive Center staff in the physical collections management of a wide-range of archival materials including but not limited to papers, photographs, film, video, and sound recordings. Responsibilities include tracking, rehousing, and storing of archival collections; monitoring temperature, relative humidity, and storage conditions; conducting archival collection inventories and surveys; and reorganizing and refiling collections materials, among other duties related to the care, preservation, and management of archival collections.
- Processes new and legacy archival collections. Applies basic preservation methods including removing damaging residue or attachments; rehousing documents in acid free folders and containers; and identifying and maintaining a running list of fragile materials that require preservation treatment and digitization.
- Describes archival materials for both new acquisitions and unprocessed legacy collections. The description includes well-written and concise finding aids and collection level records entered in Archivists’ Toolkit system in accordance with archival descriptive standards including DACS.
- Prepares small purchase orders to secure supplies and services from outside vendors.
- Works on administrative and program support tasks including arranging travel for staff and contracted consultants, including scheduling transportation, making hotel reservations, supporting staff en route and preparing travel authorizations and vouchers.
- Assists the Reference Archivist in providing reference and research services both onsite and remotely, to the public, Native American communities and constituents, researchers, and Smithsonian staff. Assists on-site researchers in the Archive Center reading room by identifying appropriate collections, pulling items, assisting in their use, and refiling them. Answers staff and public inquiries by performing necessary research about archival holdings and responding in a detailed manner via email, phone, or letter.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.
Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities may also apply to Job Announcement #17R-JC-302967-MPA-NMAI.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474756200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.