About the Position: The Director of Strategic Communications position is located in the Office of the Commanding General, U.S. Army Communications Electronics Command (CECOM) and Senior Mission Commander of Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG), MD.
APG is the Army's premier home of materiel innovation and readiness with a military and civilian workforce of 21,000 across three separate installations, APG North, APG South (Edgewood) and Adelphi. APG is home to 11 major commands and supports more than 90 tenants, as well as various satellite and private activities. APG has Centers of Excellence in Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance (C4ISR), Research and Development, Chemical and Biological, Test & Evaluation, and Public Health Sciences. Headquartered at APG, CECOM is comprised of a dedicated and highly-skilled workforce of approximately 13,000 military, civilian and contract personnel across five subordinate organizations. CECOM ensures the global readiness of the complex, networked C4ISR systems and capabilities that provide our joint forces with the advanced information and technology they need to communicate on today's battlefield. CECOM adapts, strengthens and sustains the critical C4ISR systems that joint warfighters rely on - allowing them to operate, fight and win anywhere, against any foe, at any moment. The joint expertise of these organizations makes CECOM the 'one-stop shop' for all of the warfighter's C4ISR needs.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (non-DOD)
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Priority Placement Program, Program S (Military Spouse) registrants referred through the Automated Stopper and Referral System (ASARS) for this position
As the Director of Strategic Communications for Communications Electronics Command (CECOM) Located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, you will serve as a supervisory technical expert, analyst, and advisor to the CECOM Commanding General and staff on a wide range of issues related to the Aberdeen Proving Ground Installation and its external partners in the surrounding counties and States. The commanding general, CECOM serves as the Installation Commander, responsible for synchronizing the strategic communications efforts for 92 separate organizations across the Installation with a total population of over 22,000 employees. As the Senior Commander's strategic communications expert, this position is responsible for direct coordination with the surrounding public and County and State Governmental positions. Some of the duties you will perform in this position include:
- Communicating/educating various audiences about the overall Installations mission, capabilities, and the critical role the organization plays in providing support to national defense.
- Responsible for the direction, development, planning, integration, coordination and execution of the Installation's Strategic Corporate Communication Plan.
- Serve as strategic communicator for the Command, and integrates the public affairs messaging of the other tenant organizations to ensure efforts and messaging are synchronized.
- Routinely provide information to keep the CECOM Senior Leadership abreast of critical issues with media and Congressional interest.
- Articulate and defend CECOMs position orally and in writing to national, regional and local media as well as other federal and state government agencies and citizens groups.
- Routinely interacts with senior leadership within and external to CECOM, including advising the Commanding General and staff. Interacts with Congressional principals and staffers to respond to inquiries and assist with other issues that may affect the Installation as a whole.
- Utilize all news media and communication tools to disseminate information on a district, regional, or national basis, as appropriate.
- Plan, write, and supervise preparation of issues to be brought up to Government Officials, news stories and feature articles; and plans, obtains, and makes suitable pictorial and other illustrative materials.
- Manage the command history program to include organizational historian and archivist.
- Supervise and coordinate actions regarding the conduct of CECOM and Aberdeen Proving Ground's (APG) community relations and command information programs, which impact the State of Maryland, counties and municipalities surrounding Aberdeen Proving Ground and CECOM subordinate commands in Pennsylvania, Texas and Arizona.
- Perform a broad range of highly complex qualitative and quantitative analysis of programs, policies and issues that have major impact in the development of long-range outreach and community relations plans.
- Determine and direct special studies on public communications and civic outreach policies, programs, efforts and proposals.
- Receive, review, and identify action offices for Congressional inquiries received.
- Develop official responses to ensure that the reply answers the inquiry, identifies corrective actions, controls established, and attempts to develop favorable reactions by members of Congress.
- Supervise assigned staff exercising a full range of supervisory functions, uses subordinate supervisors to direct, coordinate, or oversee work; exercises supervisory responsibilities to guide and control the work of subordinate employees.
Occasional travel - Work requires extensive (20%) travel and irregular hours, both potentially on short notice.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Please See Who May Apply Below
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/473705200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.