This position is located in the National Marine Fisheries Services (NMFS), Northwest Fisheries Science Center, in Hammond, Oregon.Learn more about this agency
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-03 is equivalent to the GS-11/12.
The full performance level of this position is ZP-04.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NMFS-NWC-2017-0041, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A three year probationary/trial period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill other Research Ecologist, ZP-0408-03 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Plan, conduct and evaluate ecological research dealing with the biology, ecology, and environmental drivers of the Columbia River Estuary, other coastal estuaries, and the Northern California Current.
- Collaborate, cooperate, help plan, organize, evaluate, and participate in field ecological research including ocean research cruises and other collection activities.
- Analyze, model, interpret, and evaluate data collected during field operations and studies.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other National Weather Center (NWC) biologists and researchers, as well as external researchers, management groups, Native American Tribes, and stakeholders on all facets of research projects.
- Prepare and submit research proposals and grants on marine ecology and ecosystems, estuarine and marine use of ecosystems, climate change and its effect on biota and ecosystems.
- Communicate research results to professionals and the public orally and in writing.
Occasional travel - Approximately 10% of travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified United States Citizens or Nationals.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472487900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.