This position is located in the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Office of Communications (OC), Washington, DC.
WHO MAY APPLY: This is a competitive vacancy, open to all United States Citizens or Nationals, advertised under Delegated Examining Authority. Selections made under this vacancy announcement will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would therefore be given new appointments to the civil service; however, benefits, time served and all other Federal entitlements would remain the same. Click here for more information and definitions regarding applicants who may apply to this vacancy announcement.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement number CMS-OC-MP-17-1974035 under merit promotion procedures. If you wish to be considered under both announcements, you must apply separately to each announcement. In addition, applicants eligible under non-competitive appointment authorities (e.g., Schedule A, Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), 30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans, etc.) who are interested in applying for this position, please apply under vacancy announcement number CMS-OC-MP-17-1974035 to be considered under non-competitive procedures.
Current Commissioned Corps Officers and boarded applicants interested in applying for this position must send their professional resume (not Curriculum Vitae) and cover letter to DSRWS-CC@cms.hhs.gov in lieu of applying through this announcement. You are to include the Job Announcement Number in the subject line and your current rank / application status in your email. Failure to provide this information may impact your consideration for this position.
NOTE: If selected for an interview, a writing sample will need to be provided at that time.Learn more about this agency
Working in the Office of Communications (OC), you will serve as a Health Communications Specialist. You will support the OC Director and Deputy Director by providing expert technical guidance to the OC leadership team on all aspects of the Agency's national public information and media relations programs. You will coordinate and consult with senior management officials of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the White House, other Federal and State agencies, and external stakeholders to implement communications elements of comprehensive, national Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) initiatives. The assignments are cross-cutting, critical to the success of functions and programs of national significance, and often serve as the basis for new policies, procedures, systems, or legislation. Specifically, you will:
- Serve as an expert advisor to the Director, OC, providing guidance and support to the Director on key mission-critical issues, initiatives, and agency functions associated with strategic communications and media relations.
- Act upon requests from both internal and external stakeholders including the Press Office, Office of Legislation, Office of the Administrator, Office of the Secretary, and the White House for support on strategic and tactical issues associated with communicating publicly CMS functions and programs.
- Coordinates the completion of complex and high-priority special assignments across OC, CMS, and HHS on behalf of the Director.
- Analyze problems, controversies, questions, or strategic decision-points associated with these policy and program issues and prepares position papers or other briefing material for the Director (or higher) to use when communicating about the issues in high-stakes, high-visibility environments such as congressional testimonies, meetings, and briefings.
- Recommend courses of action to address controversies, problems, and challenges associated with OC-administered program issues, particularly relating to strategic communications or media relations.
Additional selections may be made from this announcement for similar positions within CMS in the same geographical location. For Central Office vacancies, the "same geographical location" includes Baltimore, Maryland; Bethesda, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472272100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.