This position serves as the Director, Information Assurance Services (IAS) and Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) and principal advisor to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Deputy Chief Information Officer (DCIO) and has full responsibility for managing Information Assurance Services operations to ensure that the confidentiality/privacy, integrity, and availability of the Department's information and information resources.Learn more about this agency
The Director is responsible for ensuring the compliance and implementation of the Federal Information Security Management Act and E-Government Act, as prescribed by Congress, Office of Management and Budget, General Services Administration, and Department of Education. The Director is the recognized Departmental expert and authority on policies, procedures, guidance and technologies impacting the Department's cyber-security program.
Persons selected for initial appointment to the Career Senior Executive Service must have their Executive Core Qualifications certified by an Office of Personnel Management Qualifications Review Board prior to appointment and will be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Note: This announcement has been amended to update the security clearance level; applicants will not need to reapply to be considered.
The Director manages the IAS 's operating components to ensure successful accomplishment. As a member of the OCIO's decision and policy-making staff, the incumbent assists the CIO and DCIO in preparing budget justifications and ensuring compliance to federal statues and directives governing management of enterprise-wide security operations, Risk Management, mitigation of security vulnerabilities and improvement of the Department's IT security posture.
The Director performs the following duties:
• Advises the CIO, DCIO and other Department officials on cyber-security policies, standards, directives and guidance. Oversees the development and implementation of the strategic plans and operating procedures to achieve the Department's cyber-security objectives and priorities. Establishes goals for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the Department's cyber-security program objectives and requirements.
• Responsible for the coordination and integration of all aspects of the Department's cyber, telecommunications, and information security programs.
• Represents the Department at meetings and conferences with internal and external partners, customers, and with other strategic leaders throughout the Federal government to exchange information and develop new methods and systems that may benefit the Department's IT security program.
• Integrate cyber-security policies for the Department; develops and establishes policy for all functional areas, determines the methodology to be employed; and oversees the identification and resolution of critical problems and issues.
• Oversees the development and implementation of the Department's internal and external cyber-security policy initiatives. Develops policy and coordinates agency groups that promote the Department's cyber-security guidelines, directives, and procedural initiatives.
• Establishes guidelines, direction and policy for computer incident response capability of IT systems with the Department, as well as virus protection/software patch management, and other steps as available and necessary to ensure that IT systems are readily available and protected against harmful acts.
Occasional travel - Position may require some travel (25% or less).
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All groups of qualified individuals.
Noncompetitives (Current career Senior Executive Service (SES), QRB certified graduates of SES candidate development programs and individuals with SES reinstatment eligibility).
You are encouraged to read the entire announcement before you submit your application package. Your application may not get full consideration if you do not follow the instructions as outlined in the section "How to Apply."
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/471051000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.