This position is located within National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Ocean Service (NOS), Office of Coast Survey (OCS), Silver Spring, MD.Learn more about this agency
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band.
The ZP-03 is equivalent to the GS-11/12.
The ZP-04 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
The full promotion potential level for this position is ZP-04.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NOS-OCS-2017-0018 which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary/trial period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, ZP-1301-03/04 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
At the ZP-04, the individual selected for this position will:
- Initiate, conduct, and coordinate such projects as the design and standardization of software infrastructures, modeling numerics, gridding techniques, and coupling technology to enable effective development and transition to operations of hydrodynamic models.
- Lead the development of modeling systems for operational real-time forecasting of water levels, currents, temperatures, and salinity of estuaries and coastal regions.
- Provide programming support for numerical coding, numerical model post-processing (graphics, encoding of output, web construction), accessing modem databases, parallel computation, and network applications for the development of oceanographic circulation model-based systems .
- Develop and apply statistical and graphical tools to be used to evaluate measures of quality of physical models.
- Communicate hydrodynamic modeling research and development results with the national and international oceanographic science community.
- Participate in community hydrodynamic modeling efforts with other NOS and NOAA program offices, other federal, state, local governments, academia, and the private sector.
Occasional travel - 5% Domestic
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified United States Citizens or Nationals.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/470942100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.