Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Serve as HR Specialist for the Employee Relations and Labor Relations department of the Southwest Region Office of Human Resources, Phoenix Indian Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ. The position is an advisor and consultant to organization managers on employee and labor relations policies, procedures, and guidelines and reports to the Supervisory HR Specialist at the Phoenix Area Office.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Serve as an Employee/Labor Relations Specialist (trainee) for the Phoenix Area IHS working closely with a supervisor/senior employee:
- Assist managers and supervisors in dealing with problem employees and disputes that arise from actions taken in addressing performance and conduct deficiencies.
- Provide support by conducting investigations of the issues, developing written documents, and providing advisory services in dealing with disciplinary, adverse, performance-based actions, grievances, appeals, leave administration and dispute resolution.
- Recommend, coordinate, and provide administration in the areas of employee benefits, reasonable accommodations, worker's compensation, and work/life programs.
- Research and evaluate laws, regulations, and precedents from regulatory agencies such as Department of Labor, Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB), Office of Personnel Management (OPM), etc.
- Assist on Labor Relations (LR) issues such as prepare labor agreements on labor-management proposals, review employee representation, unfair labor practices, arbitration, negotiability, impasses, and other related issues.