About the Agency
This position is located in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). The National Museum of African American History and Culture is the largest national museum for the study and exhibition of African American history and culture. Its primary purposes are to acquire, maintain and preserve objects which document social, cultural, political, military, technological and scientific developments in the United States related to the African American experience; to conduct scholarly research designed to make significant contributions to the body of knowledge in the field of African American history, to publish findings for both scholarly and general audiences; and to interpret historical developments through public exhibits and programs as well as digital content.
ATTENTION: Due to the large number of qualified applicants for positions of this type, this job announcement will close at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on either: (A) The closing date listed above or (B) The date that 100 applications are received; whichever occurs first. If the announcement closes on the date that 100 applications are received, all applications submitted by 11:59pm that day will be given consideration, including those in excess of 100.
We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible to ensure their applications are submitted before the announcement closes. We will not consider applications which are late due to the announcement closing once the above number of applications is reached.
Works under the supervision of the Supervisory Conservator to:
- design, propose, document, and complete proposed conservation treatments on a wide variety of photographic materials within the collection;
- provide care, preservation and research on all photographs within the Museum's collections;
- research photographs and negatives within the collection, explore photographic processes, artist's methods and generate scientific data on the properties of the materials;
- provide preventative care measures such as monitoring and evaluating environmental controls, integrated pest management, and emergency preparedness, response and recovery of collections, product testing and quality control; and
- provide training of staff, allied professionals, interns, fellows, volunteers and the general public.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel is required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals
Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities should apply to Job Announcement #17R-YH-302777-MPA-NMAAHC.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.