When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.Learn more about this agency
The Equal Rights Advisor you will conduct equal rights responsibilities in a JFO and related disaster facilities. This position starts at a salary of $41.18 (IM-0301) with promotion potential to the $41.18 (IM-0301).
Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Office of Equal Rights team within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
This position is being announced under FEMA's Reservist Program. This is a temporary appointment in the Excepted Service, not to exceed 2 years. Employment is on an intermittent basis. Veterans’ preference does not apply to the reservist program selection process.
STAFFORD ACT EXCEPTED SERVICE APPOINTMENTS: The Reservist Program is an appointment type granted under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, Section 306 (b), which authorizes FEMA to appoint such temporary employees as necessary to accomplish work authorized under the Act. Appointments under this authority within FEMA are made to the excepted service and are nonpermanent in nature.
In this position, you will conduct equal rights responsibilities in a JFO and related disaster facilities.Typical assignments include:
- Provide overall management of the equal rights program; to include, ensuring compliance with applicable equal employment and civil rights statutes, and promoting the FEMA’s mission through evaluation of the Agency’s inclusion, outreach, and Title VI initiatives.
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication with Command & General Staff (C&GS) and program staff.
- Review planned FEMA activities and documents for compliance with policies, laws, and regulations pertaining to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and civil rights.
- Verify the accuracy of the equal rights portion of the administrative procedures and draft civil rights and equal employment correspondence for the FCO’s signature and distribute to staff.
- Verify the accuracy of information on all posters and in all Equal Rights documents before they are duplicated and distributed.
- Provide information, technical assistance, and training to supervisors, managers, and employees on topics such as employee supervision, hiring, grievance procedures, and staff development.
- Participate in the recruitment of employees through the agency’s Local Hire Initiative to ensure hiring practices are conducted without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
75% or less - Travel is Required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/468656400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.