If you do not meet any of the categories listed above, you may wish to apply under announcement 17-VAOIG-186-P, which is open for any U.S. citizen to apply. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.Learn more about this agency
It is anticipated that there will be significant interest in the announcement. As a result, the announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on the date of receipt of the 200th application or at 11:59 p.m. ET on May 9, 2017; whichever occurs first. Any required documents should be submitted at the time that you apply as documents will not be accepted after the vacancy closes.
OIG is organized into three line elements: the Offices of Investigations, Audits and Evaluations, and Healthcare Inspections; along with the Office of Contract Review and the Office of Management and Administration. In addition to the Washington, DC, headquarters, OIG has offices located in more than 30 cities throughout the country.
This position is located in the Office of Audits and Evaluations (OAE), Financial Integrity Division, Baltimore, MD. The Division conducts reviews of various aspects of financial management, quality control, and fiscal management within VA. The Division analyzes financial data and key processes encompassing accounting, budgeting, invoicing, and payments. Work also includes assessing VA’s accuracy, completeness, integrity, and performance in managing and controlling a wide range of financial programs and operations. The Division also assesses the acquisition, management, and operations of systems used to support its financial programs and operations. Work will include assessments of VA’s compliance with Federal financial management requirements of the Chief Financial Officers’ Act of 1990 and other Federal and VA regulations. Further, the work will focus on determining whether VA has instituted adequate controls to reduce improper payments and strengthen accountability as defined in Office of Management and Budget Circular A-123. Audits and reviews generally offer recommendations to ensure effective controls can prevent or reduce fraud, waste, and abuse and provide maximum resources to meet program objectives and promote economy and efficiency.
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-13. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Identify the required audit coverage to accomplish objectives and assists in the planning and coordination with team members who may be located in several geographic areas during an audit project.
- Develop new audit approaches where no precedents exist and/or develop creative solutions to controversial problems and resolve issues where governing laws and regulations are highly interpretive and/or precedents are nonexistent, obscure, or conflicting.
- Draft survey and audit debriefs describing results of work and prepares draft audit reports.
- Prepare and/or review work papers; assess findings for incorporation into final audit report; develop audit findings; and ensure sufficient, competent, and relevant evidence is documented to support audit project findings.
- Represent the office on interagency task forces established to study specific audit procedures, and processes, or on joint projects with other OIG offices as required.
- Prepare various types of reports, briefings and testimony that cover all major financial and management aspects of VA programs.
25% or less - Travel nationwide under tight deadlines. The incumbent should anticipate frequent walking and standing as a component of this travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. citizens or U.S. Nationals who are:
Status Eligibles, VEOA eligibles, CTAP/ICTAP eligibles, eligible for special hiring authorities (e.g., the Schedule A appointment for persons with disabilities, or covered by an Interchange Agreement).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/468456700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.