About the Agency
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 17-1623-SE-WS-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS. NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in DHS/U.S. Coast Guard, Director of Operational Logistics, Base New Orleans, Naval Engineering Department, Industrial Production Facility, New Orleans, Louisiana.
This position operates in support of the US Coast Guard, Naval Engineering Support Unit, Industrial Operations Division and assists in performing major overhaul and/or repairs on machinery and mechanical equipment aboard Coast Guard vessels and stations or used in support of Coast Guard missions.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team.
Typical work assignments include:
- Removing machinery from boats, ships, or stations for repairs or modifications.
- Assisting in the disassembly, repair and testing of machinery such as marine diesel engines, both mobile and stationary.
- Assisting in disassembling components of engines such as cylinder heads, fuel systems, lubrications systems, cooling systems, blowers, and turborchargers.
- Installing and repairing other types of ship machinery such as weight handling machinery, hydraulic systems and components, anchor windlasses, boat davits, cranes and other deck machinery.
- Occasional Travel
- This position requires occasional travel.