About the Agency
This position is located in the National Ocean Service (NOS), National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS) with one vacancy in Silver Spring, MD.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-4 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NOS-NCCOS-2017-0030, which is open to all US Citizens or Nationals. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit.
* This vacancy may be used to fill other Oceanographer, ZP-1360-4 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
As an Oceanographer, you will perform the following duties:
- Design, plan, and lead activities associated with scientific data management, including data management planning, data documentation, data preservation, data delivery, and implementation of a data publication framework.
- Implement industry system engineering and design principles to develop a technology infrastructure to support data management and the publication of thousands of data sets across a variety of ocean observation constituents; and develop new strategies for better implementing data management lifecycle steps through innovative technology choices and policy implementations.
- Participate on national geographic information system (GIS) plans and activities that have national significance; provide expert, comprehensive oversight; make recommendations and determine approaches to coordination efforts with the NOAA Environmental Data Management Committee (EDMC) and GIS communities.
- Provide expert analyses and recommendations for senior level managers concerning ocean observations data management tools and technologies that facilitate use of and access to data management tools; and develop relationships with academia, Federal and state agencies, and the private sector and participate in establishing common goals and resolving conflicts.
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 10% of domestic travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
* Current Federal employees serving under a career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service;
* Former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility;
* CTAP/ICTAP eligibles;
* Applicants eligible under special hiring authorities; and
* Veterans who are preference eligible, or separated from the U.S. Armed Forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service, may apply under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA).
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.