Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1924690
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
VA Eastern Colorado HealthCare System (ECHCS) is complexity level 1a and provides a full range of state-of- the-art patient care services. ECHCS provides tertiary care and services to over 72,000 patients and is a major referral center for veterans living in Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, and New Mexico. ECHCS serves as an educational and research center, it is highly affiliated with medical and educational institutions. Health Care Services are provided at 15 different geographically dispersed locations incorporating nine Community Based Outpatient Clinics, two Primary Care Telehealth Outpatient Clinics, one local and one remote Community Living Center, Homeless Veteran's Domiciliary, a Community Referral and Resource Center, a Polytrauma and Blind Rehabilitation Center and VA presence on two DOD bases; Fort Carson and U.S. Air Force Academy covering a geographical area of over 10,000 square miles. ECHCS employs over 2,500 personnel in 150 occupations.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities.
For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The primary function of the Telephone Call Center Pharmacy Technician is to provide direct and comprehensive telephone support for veteran patients with regard to prescription related logistical and availability issues and concerns. Functional responsibilities also include the general enforcement of hospital-approved formulary and cost-containment actions, as well as the operational facilitation of medication therapy continuity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Telephone Support Activities
Receive and respond to all telephone inquiries from patients/family members regarding any issue related to prescription availability including, but not limited to:
- Refill and mailed prescription status. Inquiries may include questions concerning requested / lost refills, anticipated medication arrival dates, and clarification related to medication refill frequencies, refill compliance, and eligibility.
- Address, telephone number and allergy information verification.
- Communication and clarification regarding prescription window and mail processing, patient co-payment responsibilities, and patient co-management procedures.
- Communication regarding the processing of medications originally prescribed at other VA facilities.
- Advise the patient on problem resolution and screen / triage calls for problems that should be referred to a pharmacist or other clinic health care team member for follow-up.
- Monitor and help address inappropriate prescription refill slip requests.
- Receive and respond to all telephone inquiries from outside providers and non-VA pharmacies regarding any issue related to ordering, refilling, and/or renewing medications prescribed by outside providers and/or dispensed by non-VA pharmacies while following policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the VA and pharmacy services.
- Evaluate patient's refill compliance using VISTA / CPRS and notify TLC Clinical Pharmacy Technician and/or appropriate clinical pharmacist with all identified concerns.
- Initiate limited and temporary prescription renewals / partial refills based on approved protocols.
- Monitor prescription documentation for the use of half-tablets, inappropriate 90-day prescription fills, and excessive monthly supply quantities.
- Provide monitoring support for defined poly-pharmacy reviews.
Quality Performance Improvement Activities
- Participate in performance improvement activities and monitoring documentation as assigned.
- Readily identify potential opportunities to enhance patient care and/or operational functionality, and share recommendations with assigned supervisor.
Work Schedule: Monday and Tuesday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Wednesday 8:00 am - 12:00pm
Functional Statement Title: Pharmacy Technician (Call Center)