About the Agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
A Disability Integration Advisor Lead serves as the lead expert level advisor to the Command Staff and program areas providing expert level advice, guidance and technical assistance on programmatic, physical and effective communication access for people with disability and others with access and functional need for all Presidentially Major Disaster and Emergency Declarations. The salary for this position is $40.77 per hour.
Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Disability Integration team within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
This position is being announced under FEMA's Reservist Program. This is a temporary appointment in the Excepted Service, not to exceed 2 years. Employment is on an intermittent basis. Veterans’ preference does not apply to the reservist program selection process.
STAFFORD ACT EXCEPTED SERVICE APPOINTMENTS: The Reservist Program is an appointment type granted under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, Section 306 (b), which authorizes FEMA to appoint such temporary employees as necessary to accomplish work authorized under the Act. Appointments under this authority within FEMA are made to the excepted service and are nonpermanent in nature.
As a Disability Integration Advisor Lead in FEMA's Reservist Program, some of the duties you will be responsible for include:
- Leading all Disability Integration staff and managing activities at a Joint Field Office.
- Advising, developing, and delivering technical training to guide, facilitate and achieve equal access throughout all disaster programs and services.
- Establishing and maintaining tone and tenor of Disability Integration across all aspects of response, recovery and mitigation while providing strategic analyses addressing disaster staffing, efficiency and capabilities to support disaster operations.
- Engaging existing coalitions as partners and building coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local tribal territorial governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, and disability advocacy leaders to achieve inclusive emergency management.
- Establishing and managing organizational and information resources strategically to achieve measurable outcomes which prioritize the needs of disaster survivors.
- Meeting organizational goals and customer expectations and making decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- 75% or Greater
- This position requires travel to emergency sites. Non-emergency travel may be required.