About the Agency
This position is located at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI), Front Royal, VA in the Administration Unit. The Supervisory Budget Analyst reports to the Deputy Director, SCBI, and is responsible for financial planning; budget formulation, justification and defense; and budget execution.
- Develops policy guidance, procedural instructions and formats to assist Directors in planning and estimating funding needs for the total budget; and drafts and issues interpretation of OMB budgetary guidance.
- Reviews and edits budget requests and justification.
- Analyzes and interprets complex new legislation, regulatory decisions, or OMB policies and directives.
- Monitors the execution (e.g., obligations and expenditures of funds) of the budget of all SCBI units through review of financial documents, examination of accounting records and contact with SCBI leadership. Analyzes changes in personnel salaries, expenses and related costs on the annual and long range budget for the SBCI.
- Recommends adjustment such as reprogramming of funds between object classes in response to changing program requirements and fund availability
- Provides leadership, policy guidance and direction to subordinate professional, and technical and support personnel. Involves staff in the development of performance standards; evaluates and recognizes performance; creates opportunities for individual growth; and supports their continuing professional development
- Prepares issue papers on cost implications of alternative courses of budgetary and administrative action for use by management officials in developing policy.
- Prepares a variety of reports covering status of funds and furnishes information to SBCI leadership concerning expenses and obligations incurred.
- Prepares correspondence for senior management on cost issues.