About the Agency
This position is located in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). The National Museum of African American History and Culture is the largest national museum for the study and exhibition of African American history and culture. Its primary purposes are to acquire, maintain and preserve objects which document social, cultural, political, military, technological and scientific developments in the United States related to the African American experience; to conduct scholarly research designed to make significant contributions to the body of knowledge in the field of African American history, to publish findings for both scholarly and general audiences; and to interpret historical developments through public exhibits and programs as well as digital content.
ATTENTION: Due to the large number of qualified applicants for positions of this type, this job announcement will close at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on either: (A) The closing date listed above or (B) The date that 200 applications are received; whichever occurs first. If the announcement closes on the date that 200 applications are received, all applications submitted by 11:59pm that day will be given consideration, including those in excess of 200.
We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible to ensure their applications are submitted before the announcement closes. We will not consider applications which are late due to the announcement closing once the above number of applications is reached.
The incumbent reports to the Assistant Director for Communications, Office of External Affairs, National Museum of African American History and Culture, and performs the following duties and responsibilities:
- provides support to the Public Affairs and Social Media teams, which may include several of the following areas: fiscal management, travel, management information systems, contract administration, property management, procurements, and overall office management;
- reviews project deliverables and tracks priorities against timetables, keeping the supervisor abreast of any items for which feedback or further action is needed;
- assists in the maintenance of the NMAAHC style and brand identity guidelines;
- maintains best practices for the archival, storage, security and retrieval of records;
- orders a variety of goods and services using Smithsonian’s financial system (ERP);
- prepares spending reports in MS Excel and Smartsheet;
- tracks expenditures from one or more federal funds, including determining or verifiyng financial and other codes based on transaction, source, purpose, and program and enters transactions into NMAAHC automated funds tracking system;
- books hotels, transportation, and occasionally arranges site meetings and prepares travel papers in hard copy and/or automated system; and
- maintains calendar(s) for supervisor, including leave, meetings, and project calendars.