* PROTECTING PUBLIC HEALTH THROUGH FOOD SAFETY AND DEFENSE *
This is an Intermittent Food Inspector job, you need to know the following:
- The work schedule, hours and shifts for this position varies. You must be available to be work, as needed, depending on the staffing needs of the Agency.
- You must be available for all shifts and able to regularly report for duty within a reasonable time after receiving a request (by phone) to report for work.
- You will provide coverage for in-plant positions within a specified geographic area or plant.
- The number of hours you may work are limited to 1,280 hours in a service year.
- This position is an Excepted Service appointment and does not provide any benefits other than Participation in the Federal Employees Health Benefit (FEHB) program (See Benefits tab).
- This is an open continuous job announcement.
We are not able to predict if or when vacancies will be filled in specific geographic areas.
You may select up to five (5) geographic location codes you are willing to work. Do not select locations that you are not willing to work in.
To ensure continued interest and availability, applicants will be notified via e-mail reminding them to re-certify their application every 120 days.Learn more about this agency
Entry-level Food Inspector positions filled through this job announcement generally work in slaughter plants. Our Food Inspectors:
- Examine food animals in privately-owned meat or poultry plants
- Perform their duties before and after slaughter, guaranteeing that the product is not contaminated
- Maintain sanitation procedures
- Are a valued member of a dynamic team that ensures the product is fit to eat and compliant with Federal laws
Food Inspectors and Consumer Safety Inspectors (slaughter) are involved in ante-mortem inspection of livestock or poultry and post-mortem inspection of red meat or poultry. This inspection activity is performed in a noisy industrial environment with large moving machinery that cannot be stopped instantly. Workstations and walkway can be extremely narrow and slippery. Excellent stability and balance is required. Frequent physical activities such as walking, climbing, standing, and kneeling are required, including climbing and walking on catwalks. Various environmental conditions, ranging from sub-freezing temperatures to frequent summertime temperatures at 80 to 90 degrees are common, with extreme humidity. Inspection activity requires rapid, constant repetitive motion with both hands and wrists. Red meat viscera inspection requires palpitation of organs and slicing with extremely sharp knives. Accurate color vision is essential to notice subtle shades of product color in the detection of abnormalities that make a product unfit for human consumption. To view examples of the types of work performed, please click on: Inside Look
For additional information about training please follow this link: Training Information
Occasional travel - Some Travel may be required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/384114000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.