THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANT (T32), Position Description Number D2423000and is part of the AL 117TH Air Refueling Wing, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
ORGANIZATION: 117TH ARW, BIRMINGHAM, AL
SELECTING OFFICIAL: SMSgt R. SMITH
1. Assists technical transportation advisor and higher graded staff on all statewide operating matters dealing with commercial movement of personnel and equipment. Analyzes and advises on transportation considerations relative to the domestic and international movement of equipment, supplies, and personnel via all commercial transportation modes. Assists in the development of, maintains, and exercises the commercial traffic functions of mobilization plans, as well as training programs for managers and mobilization augmentees on related transportation subjects. Assists in input to the Defense Movement Coordinator (DMC), as required, with the preparation of the commercial transportation portions of the Automated Unit Equipment List (AUEL). Assists in Obligation and execution of funding for the commercial transportation mission. (25%)
2. Assists in the preparation of Transportation Discrepancy Reports (TDR) and other documents in support of government claims against carriers for freight loss and damage or failure to provide contracted services. Reconciles Commercial Bills of Lading to verify receipt and shipment of equipment and supplies. Makes recommendations to higher graded employees for changes in local policies and procedures to support the economical movement of contractually procured materials from vendors. Interprets and enforces Federal, State, and local regulations concerning the movement of hazardous materials and general commodities through various modes of carriage. Assists in monitoring and ensures proper handling, packaging, and shipping of arms, ammunition and explosives (AA&E), Controlled Cryptographic Items (CCI), and classified/sensitive items. Safeguards accountable transportation documents, which may include: Government Bills of Lading, Government Transportation Requests, and Uniform Service Meal Tickets. (25%)
3. Assists in inspections, or provides for inspection of, commercial carrier terminals to locate and expedite delivery of astray government shipments. Ensures carrier capability complies with government requirements and specifications. Assists in the management of the Carrier Performance Program for the state and provides input to the Traffic Manager for the overall program. (15%)
4. Procures domestic and international travel for both military and civilian passengers. Reviews the travel arrangements provided by the Travel Services Contractor ensuring that special fares and/or discounts are utilized when feasible. Ensures advance procurement of transportation services to achieve greatest overall cost efficiency and oversees the audit of the Travel Services Contractor for application of appropriate discounts for official travel. Monitors the approved Travel Agent for official travel for quality assurance as an Assistant Contract Officer Representative (ACOR). Advises travelers on entitlements and responsibilities and manages the processing of refunds for unused commercial tickets into the government accounting system. Ensures all travel requests are accompanied by approved travel orders and reconciles billing of requested travel services. Reconciles and validates the monthly billing for commercial air travel Centrally Billed Account (CBA) and submits it for payment. (15%)
5. Maintains all transportation related automated systems and databases to support the Traffic Management Programs for the State. (10%)
6. Accomplishes the full spectrum of support for state and Federal National Guard operations, training, readiness missions, natural disasters, and Homeland Defense/Defense Support of Civil Authorities (HLD/DSCA). (10%)
7. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
QualificationsMILITARY REQUIREMENTS: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Air National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Air National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position.
MINIMUM MILITARY RANK: AMN
MAXIMUM MILITARY RANK: TSGT
*Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education, or training interpreting, explaining, and/or applying basic rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of a transportation program. Experience using computer and automation systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 12 months experience, education, or training obtaining and interpreting information. Experience applying directives and regulations governing transportation of personnel, cargo or freight. Experience verifying legal entitlements or official authorizations for travel, securing from carriers guides and timetables, information regarding schedules, fares, and availability of space accommodations.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience - Completion of 2 academic years of education in an accredited college or university will satisfy the requirements for GS-4 positions. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience for GS-5 positions.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: SF-50s, Transcripts and DD 214s are recommended, but not required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11118769
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressAL 117TH Air Refueling Wing
5401 East lake blvd
Birmingham, AL 35217-3595
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/601807400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.