The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is the United States Department of Agricultures chief scientific research agency and one of the worlds premiere scientific organizations. ARS Postdoctoral Research Associates are hired to supplement a lead scientist's research on agricultural problems of high national priority affecting American agriculture.
**ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED OR 09/20/2019.**Learn more about this agency
**THIS IS A TEMPORARY POST DOC APPOINTMENT NOT-TO-EXCEED 2 YRS**
The incumbent will be assigned to the Potato Breeding and Genetics program located within the USDA-ARS Small Grains and Potato Germplasm Research Unit, Aberdeen, ID. Research responsibilities involve the development of molecular marker technology for potato suitable for implementation in the breeding program, thereby facilitating the development of enhanced potato germplasm and speeding varietal development. The assignment is to use molecular and genetic approaches to: 1) develop genetic markers for the improvement of potato with emphasis on disease and pest resistance; and 2) incorporate genes affecting targeted traits into adapted potato germplasm using marker technology in collaboration with other scientists.
Occasional travel - To field sites and conferences
Conditions Of Employment
- A Ph.D. is required that was obtained within the last four years
- Appropriations Law and Immigration Law requirements must be met
- Pre-employment fingerprint check with successful adjudication is required
• Selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance. If selected you may be subject to a National Agency Check and Inquiry (NACI) and a credit report inquiry.
This position requires a Ph.D in Molecular Biology or Plant Pathology or Plant Genetics or a related field of study that has equipped the applicant with the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Advanced knowledge of traditional and molecular plant breeding and genetics, statistics, and experimental design is highly desired. Highly desirable candidates are well organized, operate independently, possess creativity to use their advanced degree to apply to the enhancement of potato, and have good verbal and written communicative skills.
Applicants must meet basic Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standard's requirements of the scientific discipline necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
This position has a positive education requirement. You must submit a copy of your academic transcripts OR a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grades received to verify education when applying for this position. If this information is not provided, your education may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are selected for this position, you will have to provide an official copy of your transcripts prior to entering on duty. Application materials will not be returned.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Foreign education must be evaluated by an approved organization. For additional information, refer to the U.S. Department of Education web site at http://www.ed.gov. All transcripts must be in English or include an English translation.
• BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND FINGERPRINT CHECK: Selection and retention in this position is contingent on a successfully adjudicated FBI National Criminal History Check (fingerprint check) and a background investigation.
• This position is eligible for telework and other flexible work arrangements.
• If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
• Relocation expenses are not authorized.
• E-Verify: Federal law requires agencies to use the E-Verify system to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. If you are selected as a newly hired employee, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS 'E-VERIFY' system. Under the system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
• Direct Deposit - Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application will be evaluated to determine if you meet eligibility and minimum qualification requirements, and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position as defined above under "Qualifications".
To view the application form, visit: https://ars.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=11F3EF48-6A68-41A7-87B9-A96000FC61B2
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
If application packages do not contain all of the requested information, you may lose consideration for the job. To help you ensure your application defines your qualifications and eligibility for this position, please submit the following documentation as appropriate. Some of the items listed may not apply to you. NOTE: Applications received in postage paid government envelopes will not be considered.
APPLICATION PACKAGE CHECKLIST
__ Resume, Curriculum Vitae, or other document outlining your qualifications
The following information is required of all applicants:
__ Announcement number, title, and grade(s) of the position
__ Full name, mailing address (including zip code) and day and evening phone numbers (with area code)
__ Indicate country of citizenship
__Copy of DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Only if claiming veterans preference. Visit the following web site for additional information: http://www.opm.gov/employ/veterans/html/vetguide.asp)
__SF-15 (Application for 10-point Veterans Preference) plus the supporting documentation required by this form (if claiming 10-point veterans preference). Visit http://www.opm.gov/forms/html/sf.asp to obtain the form.
As an Applicant for a Postdoctoral Research Associate Position, you must also submit the following:
__ A one-page abstract of Ph.D. dissertation
__ A resume of any honors or awards received; memberships in professional or honor societies; invitations to make presentations at scientific/technical meetings; scientific society office and committee assignments; presentations (other than invitations); and publications.
__ A list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons familiar with your stature, contributions, and recognition.
If this is your first time applying for a federal job, or if you wish to view more detailed information about various aspects of applying for federal jobs, go to http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter.
The following documents are required for your applicant package to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, delays in the mail service, etc Encrypted documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
• Resume that includes: 1) personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the major duties including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; title, series, grade (if applicable); 4) supervisors phone number and if supervisor may be contacted for a reference check; 5) other qualifications.
• If you are using education to qualify, you must submit a copy of your college transcripts. An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application. If you are selected, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to entering on duty. Education must have been from an accredited school, college or university. If any education was completed at a foreign institute, you must submit with your application evidence that the institute was appropriately accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as equivalent to U.S. education standards. There are private organizations that specialize in this evaluation and a fee is normally associated. All transcripts must be in English or include an English translation.
• If claiming veterans preference (VP), you must submit a DD214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. Veterans preference must be verified prior to appointment. Without this documentation, you will not receive VP and your application will be evaluated based on the material(s) submitted.
• If claiming 10-point veteran’s preference you must provide the DD214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), plus the proof of entitlement on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans’ Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. Failure to submit these documents could result in the determination that there is insufficient documentation to support your claim for 10-point preference. For more information on veterans’ preference please visit the Feds Hire Vets website.
• Surplus or displaced employees eligible for CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP priority must provide: proof of eligibility (RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment to another commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination), SF-50 documenting separation (as applicable), and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with your application per 5 CFR 330.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
A Benefits Package will be authorized for appointments made for a period of more than one year.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at: http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/enrollment/new-federal-employee-enrollment/
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Applications may be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to the appropriate address and/or facsimile number listed below:
Dr. Jonathan Whitworth
Small Grains and Potato Germplasm Research Unit
1693 South 2700 West
Aberdeen, Idaho 83210
If sending your application as an attachment to an email, do not send zipped files. They will be removed in accordance with standard electronic security procedures.
Agency contact information
5601 Sunnyside Ave
Beltsville, MD, 20705
Find Solutions to Agricultural Problems that Affect Americans Every Day, From Field to Table.
USDA is a great place to start or continue your career. USDA is ranked as one of the top 10 "Best Places to Work in the Federal Government" by the Partnership for Public Service (http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/overall/large). Rankings are based on employee feedback regarding satisfaction with their work experience.
Your application will be reviewed to verify that you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements for the position prior to issuing referral lists to the selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. Log in to your USAJOBS account at USAJOBS account to check your application status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512214500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.