OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
This position functions primarily in the Orthotic-Prosthetic Laboratory Section at the Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital. The Orthotist/Prosthetist provides the appropriate orthotic and/or prosthetic devices and treatment. This goal is accomplished through: (1) A comprehensive examination of the patient and assessment of their individual needs and desires. (2) Formulation of a treatment plan. (3) Design, component selection, measurement/casting of the patient, fabrication and fitting of the device to the patient. (4) Proper documentation of the patient record. (5) Continuing care and periodic examination of the patient and the prosthetic device to assess fit, function and changing needs of the patient.
This work requires a specialized knowledge of the medical and psychological problems directly related to the use of orthotic and/or prosthetic devices; and a specialized knowledge and understanding of the fabrication and satisfactory fitting of orthotic and/or prosthetic devices. These criteria are met with the required certification in good standing from the American Board of Certification for Orthotics and Prosthetic (ABCOP) or the Board of Certification for Orthotics and Prosthetics (BOC).
- Review patient's prescription/referral.
- Take a comprehensive patient history.
- Assist in formulating the treatment plan by performing a diagnosis-specific functional clinical examination.
- Consult with other health care professionals and caregivers about patient's condition to assist in formulating a treatment plan.
- Communicate with patient and/or caregiver about the recommended treatment plan.
- Formulate treatment goals and expected prosthetic outcomes to reduce pain/increase comfort, enhance function and independence, provide stability, prevent deformity, address cosmesis and/or promote healing.
- Identify material, design and components to support anticipated outcome.
- Provide gait training /functional-use training.
- Reassess patient knowledge and understanding of goals and objectives to ensure proper use of device relative to modifications.
- Participates in product development research, clinical trials and outcome evaluation studies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Telework: Not Suitable
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Title/Functional Statement #:Orthotist/Prosthetist/PD000000
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/617070500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.